The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tattoo you > Comments

Tattoo you : Comments

By Sophie Love, published 10/9/2013

Is it just me or is this really horrible and offensive. Rather like full frontal nudity in public?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
An interesting article with which I totally agree.

Some time ago I wrote a comment on OLO suggesting that tattoos were body mutilation. I was shot down in flames by a proportion of readers because they thought it was an art that represented their character in some way. I have always found it offensive and if you look at it for too long to try distinguish what it actually is, there is usually a verbal response that indicates a sensitivity that I shouldn't. Why put it there in the first place if you don't want people to look at it ? I have found that most tattoos look like ugly birth marks from only a short distance and detract from even the most appealing people. As for piercings and the most unlikely places they are inserted, words fail me. Why would you want to put a stud through your tongue is a question I would like to have answered and that is only one place I am prepared to talk about.

No doubt I will also be called a fuddy-duddy, but wonder if those that do, will have the same opinion about the present fashion when they join the next generation. and their "art work" distorts during the ageing process or even becomes UN-fashionable.

It's also interesting to note that many who sport tattoos seem to belong to a group that could least afford to spend their money on such things. Perhaps it's a tribal thing.
Posted by snake, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 8:25:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How does anyone know what they would like to look like 20-40 years from now. Mike Carlton recently summed it up. Intelligence is inversely related to the tatts.
He commented that one footballer, then in media trouble for stupid behaviour, was so "coloured " that if he fell over on the flashy club carpet you would need a sniffer dog to find him.
Posted by Foyle, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 8:43:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must get out more...

"...a few yonis on Honi Soit are far easier to explain away than some of the skin images we are being faced with daily (after all, Mummy's got a vulva, and he knows that was his portal to the planet)"

and all I could think was that Honi Soit must be an SBS PopAsia Gen Y rapper or box beater in the Dana International tradition who thought if one is good, more is better.

Some quick research showed me I was wrong - on each of those points.

As for tattoos, can we keep the Edinburgh one?
Posted by WmTrevor, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 9:37:12 AM
There seem to be more and more tattoos and facial/body piercings these days.
Some tattoos are indeed tribal as are some body piercings.
Some just look like a boogie that escaped the hanky wipe, and others are placed in places, where a serious internal infection remains just a matter of time?
Arguably because those applying this type of surgery are operating without any medical training; or, are practicing medicine without a licence!?
Tattoos in some cases can be a shared needle, or the hygiene is simply inadequate.
Some transferable diseases on needles etc, can take up to forty minutes of boiling heat to kill, or up to three days of tumbling in direct sunlight to properly sanitize.
If I, through lack of choice, was employing a person with tattoos or visible body furniture, I would require them to cover what could be covered and the rest removed for the hours they spent representing me as my employee.
If they found that too difficult, there are others who would be more compliant!
I dare say those employers who fail to set these standards will lose their often most lucrative business, particularly if the customers have other choices.
I mean, what is the goal, service your clientele, or intimidate them clean out of the premises; and or, give them reason to talk in derogatory terms about the quality of the service or its lack?
After all, word of mouth is the most effective form of positive or negative advertising!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 10:26:18 AM
the author says "I don't have any problem with what people do with their bodies". But she does. If you have trouble explaining what a tattoo is to your child then you are obviously going to have a great deal of difficulty in explaining the more complex elements of living in the modern world. As such, perhaps you should pay more attention to your parenting skills rather than whingeing about current fashion trends. And if you really are scared of a tattoo, then perhaps you should seek some psychological intervention to cure you of your irrational fear. No wonder young people often lack respect for their elders, when their elders hold such petty and irrational views.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 11:34:49 AM
Tattoos are hardly current fashion trends. If you look at ancient Jewish Biblical Law it is logically clear the reasons why tattoos are growing in number within Western secular culture. A culture that values illicit carnality above everything else, even human life.

Western secular culture is engaged in idolatry on a massive scale. Secularism worships man and/or nature. Therefore, it is only logical that the inordinate love behind the old pagan idolatrous practices would return. Self-harm and tattooing have common ground. Some comment tattooing was found to be a method for them to prevent further self-harm, and to get a release instead. Essentially, self-loathing and self-pride are the same. They are both idolatrous obsessions with either one's appearance, or one's perceived weaknesses. The two sides of Vain Glory.

"For some people, a tattoo is a personal symbol upon the body, a reminder of somebody, a pet, or even just a feeling. It's almost like they cannot let that thing go, so that it will always be with them forever. Most people get tattoos without mentally knowing or admitting it to be an inner question of them wanting to be in control of their body. For them to get a tattoo is a means to have that control."

"The tattoo is partly an unconscious desire to never be totally naked. If you have a tattoo, then you still have something that covers your skin, no matter what".

It would appear the key reason for the increase in tattooing is simply the increasing rise of vain glory and Idolatry in the Western secular world. The obsessive worship of something, someone or perhaps some cultural group who is not the personal creator God. To not be ever totally naked and to always be in control are symptomatic of a particular secular mindset, (remember the Fall in Eden, they realised they were naked). Its apparent even amongst wayward sects who claim to be Christian. Narcissism is back – Did someone mention Generation Y? Maybe the “Selfie” is another variant of this tendency to imprint or tattoo oneself on the Internet.
Posted by aga, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 11:58:55 AM
Tatts are the body equivalent of the graffiti 'artwork' on the walls of Council toilets.

The difference is that sugar soap and paint fix toilet walls. Until the next Houso expresses his or her mentality with vandalism.

Tribal tattoos are cruel torture inflicted mainly on adolescent boys to continue worthless superstition and harmful ethnic separateness. Maybe they are the ones who should be 'diversified'.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 1:18:44 PM
'It would appear the key reason for the increase in tattooing is simply the increasing rise of vain glory and Idolatry in the Western secular world '

you have hit the nail on the head aga. the same thing is shown by the amount of boob enlargements and other unnecessary operations whereby 'self ' esteem is promoted above everything. Usually it leads to less self esteem as people can't hide from their corrupt natures. Suicide just increases as idolatry and 'vain'glory is promoted by those who should no better.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 1:41:09 PM
Is getting a tatt a good idea?

Heavy tatt wearers may well regret their youthful choices - when they hit 50. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo_removal#Motives :

"A poll conducted in January 2012 by Harris Interactive reported that 1 in 8 (14%) of the 21% of American adults who have a tattoo regret getting one. The poll didn't report the reasons for these regrets, but a poll that was done 4 years prior reported that the most common reasons were "too young when I got the tattoo" (20%), "it's permanent" and "I'm marked for life" (19%), and "I just don't like it" (18%)."

In about 20 years when tatts are daggy and out of style - tatt removers, charging like plastic surgeons, are going to empty bank accounts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo_removal#Number_of_laser_tattoo_removal_treatment_sessions_needed :

"Complete laser tattoo removal requires numerous treatment sessions"
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 2:07:36 PM
I think there is a lot of money to be made by the person who invents a semi-permanent ink which will give you a two-year tattoo. Then you could become a cleanskin again or go for a whole new skin decor.

Tattoos seem to be like photographs and facebook: the memory of people and events is no longer enough, they have to be recorded on your body or fixed permanently in cyberspace for them to have any meaning. Why engrave the name of your child on your skin - are you likely to forget it?
Posted by Candide, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 5:01:03 PM
Tatts are a big yawn. So common these days that they are meaningless.

People get tatts to distinguish themselves from the mainstream and give themselves some greater perception of individuality. But now so many ordinary people have them that they are just right in there as part of the mainstream, and lacking in individuality! Sort of like bikies really!

I don’t think highly of people with tatts. But do I find them offensive? Nope.

It’s not something I’d ever contemplate doing, simply because there seems to be nothing to be gained from it.

Sophie, I wouldn’t be offended by them. And if you pass them off as being passé when you encounter them with your son, then I’m sure he won’t find them offensive either. I think that he would pick up on your reaction and comments more than what he might see in them himself.

And um… I’d never be offended by full public nudity either. It is such a silly indoctrination in our society that we should find such a thing offensive or embarrassing.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 9:48:20 PM
My only tattoo is an image of Azaria being chased up my bum-hole by a dingo, and only special people see that.
It is our basic human right to make ourselves as ugly as possible, no matter how much it costs or what risks of infection it involves. Like all of my 'tribe' I am expressing my individuality. I pity all of those brain dead people who fail to get at least one tattoo before getting inked goes out of fashion. A big spider on the throat is popular this week.
Posted by citizen, Wednesday, 11 September 2013 8:42:13 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for making me laugh Citizen !
Posted by snake, Wednesday, 11 September 2013 9:42:22 AM
<Thanks for making me laugh Citizen !>

+1
Delightful dry wit.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 11 September 2013 1:05:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy