The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Blood and power > Comments

Blood and power : Comments

By Brenton Luxton, published 10/9/2013

Anti-Abbott Facebook pages have sprung up overnight to deplore his prime ministership before his prime ministerial feet even hit the ground. Unfair?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Hi Brenton,

I find it curious that most of the commentators, hate peddlers and Hasbeen’s “sour brigade” make derogatory comments about somebody they don’t actually know.

I suspect most of us don’t know Tony Abbott well enough, close enough or personally enough to answer the most stupid question ever asked, which is “who would make better PM”, when TA has never actually been PM?

So one has to ask from where the nasty brigade gets their angry opinions from. Is it something political that he represents, is it the policies he stands for, is it envy of his education or the stable, community minded family man he appears to represent?

What is it about TA that represents a sufficient threat to generate such adolescent anger and abuse?

So many times we hear him accused of “slashing aid and torturing refugees” and being accused as a “small minded, narrow minded bigoted racist”. This from people who have absolutely no idea who or what the real TA is.

What in our society has caused these social aberrations to form such dysfunctional perceptions? How do they go about their normal lives as balanced and contributing members of our society?

I think the cause is a sad and dangerous combination of very poor education, total lack of social skills, the embrace of victimhood, the vulnerability of those need to adopt someone else’s opinion, those who are incapable of forming their own perspectives and those who cannot separate ideological spin from reality.

In the end I doubt TA, his administration or his policies, regardless of how well he performs, will have any positive impact on this generation. They are not actually angry at TA, they are angry within themselves because they simply do not fit into our 21st century society and they know it.

They are victims of the Twitter, Facebook and Google. More importantly, they are victims of the progressive media (and Brenton) who are likewise angry and have directed the anger and frustration of the dysfunctional at what they see as a threat to their ideology.

God help these generational misfits.
Posted by spindoc, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 3:35:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'All we know is that in Abbott's world Abbott believes what Abbott believes '

and all we know from this pathetic piece is that in Brenton's world Brenton believes what Brenton believes. Thankfully its Tony who gained the trust of the majority with Brenton's dogmas sent packing.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 3:44:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spindoc:

Your comment is a breath of fresh air and I'm very happy to read your comment. I'm quite interested in your take on the anger aspect. I'm actually thinking of writing on this subject, which I'm sure the "sour brigade" will enjoy (but for all the wrong reasons). Can you elaborate on your comment about not fitting into the 21st century? You've got my interest.
Posted by Brenton, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 3:50:03 PM
Brenton,

To put this in context, I am an atheist and personally support gay marriage. What I object to is fantastical and overly emotive language aka "hissy fit" in the stead of rational argument. "Would Abbott finally recognize gay people as human beings?" is a prime example. The Howard government did more than anyone to redefine the rights of people gay or otherwise in de facto partnerships, to the point that the rights they enjoy differ little from married couples.

The Coalition got more than 45% of the vote and more than 53% of the 2pp, and as such represent more than anyone else. As such are the duly elected representatives of the people and do govern for all the people, which similar to parents does not mean that they do everything that everyone wants.

I voted for the coalition, not because I agreed with their stand on gay marriage, or even the parental leave package, but because labor have shown themselves to be wildly incompetent, and I am looking for a stable government that will provide competent and prudent management of the economy and social issues.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 3:54:36 PM
Well where to begin,
Tony Abbott's mandate extends as far as the parliament voted in allows him. It would appear that voters based on the current system of preferences have created a fairly fractured senate. His mandate gives him a majority in the lower house, but this does not in anyway mean that the members of the senate should just waive through his policies at the expense of their own principles.

For example if the majority of the senate believe an Emissions Trading Scheme is the best course of action to tackle climate change then they shouldn't bow to Tony Abbott's wishes. The parties who lost the election still need to represent the voters who voted for them and stick to the policies they took to the election. If labor or greens went along with coalition policy then they would not be serving those individuals who voted for them.

The statement of Governing for all is mere rhetoric and meaningless. Given such confusing ideas in society of right and wrong today it is impossible for someone to govern for all, especially if they do not consider all people equal.

Voters who disagree with Tony Abbott should show him the same level of respect as he did the former government. Which means they are well within their rights to be degrading and disrespectful towards him as he and his supporters were. Statements such as "ditch the witch" and "Bob Browns Bitch" show the level of maturity some members of our society have. Personal attacks are often revealing of a lack of substance and facts supporting a particular argument.

On the issue of Gay Marriage, Research is suggesting that Homosexuality is a genetic trait that people are born with and not a lifestyle choice. Therefore if you oppose the idea of Same sex marriage, I am sure you would also be comfortable with forbidding blacks, Asians, short people, people with blonde hair etc from also being married. Or do you think a government legislating against this would be wrong and unjust...
Posted by Mr. Anderson, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 4:08:12 PM
Brendon BSc Mech. Eng. & I paid for mine, full dollar.

I was during the moratorium marches, when people like you, in their make believe disciplines were wasting every ones time being noisy.

If you don't want tough criticism, try producing articles with a bit more thought. This one was a shout of a spoilt brat, & I treated it as same.

A bit of growing up may, but only may help you. You sound a bit far gone to ever come back.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 10 September 2013 4:41:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy