The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > This Government has failed the unemployed > Comments

This Government has failed the unemployed : Comments

By Luke Williams, published 5/9/2013

For many people in the marginal electorates, the Wizard of Oz has run out of tricks and the grandiose rhetoric just isn’t matching the reality.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Australia has done much better than most of the developed world.

Those on the right complain about "big" government yet the most successful country over the period from 2007 has been China which is dominated by the largest government bureaucracy ever known. Why? Probably because the government follows updated Keynesian policies, just what the Rudd Gillard governments did.

Everyone not in the top few per-cent, in Australia, has suffered because the Rudd and Gillard government were not willing to risk educating citizens on known economic truths.
Failure to move early against the dominant but foolish and misleading neo-liberal economic nonsense, has allowed Abbott and Hockey and the other 'drys' to mislead the population with their claims that the sovereign government is constrained in the same way citizens businesses and even non currency issuing governments, such as the Australian States of the member countries of the European Monetary Union are constrained.

A few of the economic truths are;
1. Sovereign Government debt should be an aim provided the debt is directed towards improving employment opportunities and building publically owned infrastructure, preferably productive infrastructure like modern efficient low carbon power generation, high speed freight and passenger transport, maybe even new publicly owned airports and banks or even low cost public housing for sale to the genuinely disadvantaged.

2. Whenever unemployment is high the sovereign government and the economy is missing opportunities to be better prepared for the future.

3. Austerity will lead to an economic turndown, a strategy only necessary if inflation is a serious problem. Carried out in any other circumstance, when there is little inflation risk, austerity can lead to a recession and possibly even a major depression as is now happening in Europe.

Read about reality at the blog of UMKC, New Economic Perspectives.
Posted by Foyle, Thursday, 5 September 2013 10:53:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's not the govt that has failed the unemployed, but the unemployed?
As a young and able boded person, I traveled thousands of miles, to take up "any" work, the few times I confronted unemployment.
There were some very highly paid jobs going begging, simply because some wouldn't get off their backsides, and accept relocation or retraining for new jobs?
That retraining however, must match genuine employment opportunities, which must preference Australians first!
That said, I believe job start could be far more generous, in return for the end of unfair dismissals?
This will allow some employers to take on more staff, in the knowledge if he/she gets a bad one, they can be dismissed without fanfare or the fear of costly legal reprisals!
However, even then, there ought to be some rationalized total time limit to work-start, that could only ever be extended, if the unemployed undertake genuine retraining!
Retraining centres ought to have mandatory creches, so that single mums can undertake retraining as well; and schools ought to feature some after school activity, so that the usual latch key kids, don't wander the streets, getting up to all sorts of mischief or trouble.
That way, the unemployed will have no genuine excuse or be able to blame others or their depressed circumstances, for their situations?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 5 September 2013 12:24:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've been writing about the burgeoning, increasingly expensive and mainly privatised 'unemployment industry' on OLO for years - with little acknowledgment from other commenters, who have been mostly interested in following the mainstream-narrative script of demonising and pathologising welfare dependency.

I'm glad to see someone else writing about it. However, this is not the fault of the Labor government. The unemployment industry was well and truly underway during the Howard era and, to a lesser extent, the Keating years. Because no government can dare to challenge the real cause of increasing unemployment in First-World countries - i.e. neoliberalism and globalisation - the unemployment industry will only get bigger, more cumbersome, less accountable and ridiculously expensive
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 5 September 2013 6:42:04 PM
Foyle: Meant to say in my above comment that I agree with all your points. Good post.
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 5 September 2013 6:45:06 PM
Whilst I feel sorry for anyone not having a job I find the constant attention on unemployment a mere diversion tactic. The debates should be the unemployables have failed the Government.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 September 2013 7:03:23 PM
Labor may have failed to help the unemployed but it is the coalition that will, as they have in the past, harm the unemployed. The hatred, scapegoating and punitive policies will all return with a vengeance under an abboot led government.
Posted by mikk, Thursday, 5 September 2013 7:41:09 PM
...Does anybody know of a long term unemployed not dealing drugs as a lucrative sideline? Hard to find one that doesn't!
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 5 September 2013 9:50:34 PM
the hatred, scapegoating..
mikk,
you mean such as the one you're practicing in your indoctrinated mind ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 September 2013 10:13:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy