The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Another 'True Believers' election? > Comments

Another 'True Believers' election? : Comments

By Jo Coghlan, published 4/9/2013

It's been 20 years since Keating won the 'sweetest victory of all'. Can Rudd top that?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Excellent comment Rhrosty, politics, economics and ignorance.

Your comment reminded me of a quote I had read while studying for an assignment.

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_jefferson.html#5Vp7DVhvrA2plzeX.99
Posted by RandomGuy, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 10:19:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
True believers scenario, what rubbish.

Keating won in 1993 by going against the very issues he supported passionately in the 1980s, the GST. Sure he exploited the issue like the political animal he was, but told where to go in 1996.

As for 2013, why should true believers vote again for the biggest tosser that ever led (and dominated) a Labor Party?

I am a true believer in what happens to battlers, but voting for Labor again would be one of my biggest acts of stupidity. This will be the second time (in a row) that I don't vote for Labor at a federal election. I would like to think I have better reason to vote for it next time, but who knows.

Get rid of Rudd forever would be a good first step. And look beyond Bill Shorten would be a sound second move.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 10:19:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David G,

I think TA’s reference to KRudd trying to present himself as the “suppository” of all knowledge is spot on. Slightly Freudian perhaps but lets face it, we all know from where KRudd pulls all his policies?
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 10:32:25 AM
Excellent postmodern analysis of contemporary politics in Australian society with a complete disregard of reality.
The validity of any consequent prediction of the outcome of this Saturday’s election will undoubtedly stand, proudly, alongside the other fruits of postmodern theory.

So little evidence and so much opinion!

It is a good thing that this authors work is presented on a free blog otherwise it would represent an unconscionable waste of the paper upon which it was printed.

And by the way any thoughts on the discovery of faeries at the bottom of my garden?

'Ceterum autem censeo Kevinum Scardinium delendum esse'as others have said elsewhere.
Posted by CARFAX, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 10:36:18 AM
I am wholeheartedly with those others who are saying that the best possible outcome for the ALP on Saturday would be a resounding loss. It would be fitting if Rudd were to lose his seat, but even as a back-bencher, I think we have all seen through him now.
It's not so much that I am an Abbott fan, although I do expect he will prove to be a better PM than has been predicted, but a loss will cause the ALP to look within itself and, hopefully, rise phoenix-like as a born-again great political party.
And I do hope they get a wriggle on. Australia will need an effective opposition to help Abbott govern for all of us.
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 10:55:43 AM
Rhostry
LOL. Too true.

I admit feelings of relief and gratitude towards those swinging voters who are about to kick Labor out. But then I reflect “Hang on. These are the morons who voted them in last time.”

It’s like, how could you look at anything that Labor said last time or in 2007, and not understand that it was an amalgam of lies and stupidity?

halduell
“and, hopefully, rise phoenix-like as a born-again great political party.”

It think that’s is a comment without understanding of history or theory.

The reason we keep getting bad governments, on both sides of politics, is because people persist in the belief that government is some kind of benevolent institution, and that the lies and anti-social actions of governments are some kind of strange coincidence. All experience, and true theory, prove otherwise.

The whole point of theory is to explain complex reality, so it’s time to jettison the failed theory that government “represents” society better than society represents itself, that government presumptively represents the greater good, and take a good critical look at the credulous adoration of the god-state underlying our repeating disappointment with the major parties.

Let’s try a rational theory with more explaining power.

"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant or pine for something they can’t get, and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B.

In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods."
H.L. Mencken
http://economics.org.au/

The missing value in Australian public discourse is freedom itself. We don’t need a bit more political messiahs with more visions of what to force everyone else into; we need a lot less.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 12:10:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy