The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > FIFO and the GFC from the family perspective > Comments

FIFO and the GFC from the family perspective : Comments

By Sophie Love, published 30/8/2013

Having chosen to be a wife, while I want to raise my family with the man I married, I feel like a single mum most of the time.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Sophie

There are just not enough articles like this. There should be many more.

It's not only in tough economic times that fathers often have to be away from the family for long periods, but also in good times. The changing nature of work over the last 150 years has created the phenomenon of two parents alienated from each other and from their children - the principal breadwinner through prolonged absence, and the principal carer through exhausted, respite-less isolation.

In earlier times, families often lived and worked together as a unit - running a farm or a small business - usually in the same place as their ancestors did, and surrounded by extended family. Now, many couples raise their children within a rootless environment, often devoid of extended family support. As women are still overwhelmingly the principal child rearers, much of the stress and isolation of modern parenting falls on mothers.

While mothers are over-sentimentalised in our culture, they receive hardly any real support. If they are single, they are viewed as welfare bludgers and damaging to their children's psyches - especially their sons. If they are married, they are viewed as having nothing to complain about because they have a man to supposedly lean on.
Posted by Killarney, Saturday, 31 August 2013 12:48:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John J.

As a long-term freelancer myself, I sympathise with all your points (even though they didn't necessarily apply to Sophie's situation).

Maybe we take heart from the fact that, with an almost certain LNP win at the federal election, it won't be long before virtually the entire Australian workforce will be freelancing.

Bring on Work Choices II!
Posted by Killarney, Saturday, 31 August 2013 12:52:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Sophie I understand as I have seen this same problem with young
mothers trying to hold it all together and work as well.

A little history, the government was pressured to force the lending
organisations to lend on two incomes.
It was considered a victory by certain womens' groups.
As a friend, who was a bank loans officier, said to me;
"They will regret this, the builders will force up the price of houses
to meet the amount of money available."

Well, you have, borrow on two incomes you MUST have two incomes to pay it off !

Now a 19th century wharfies cottage in parts of Sydney is over 1 million dollars.

Will they never learn ?
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 31 August 2013 6:55:49 PM
Susie, we are not underpopulated.
What many forget when the rains come, is that we have to survive the worse drought.
We came a bit too close last time.
So obviously we cannot double our population.
So just how big is our safety margin ?

Do you know Susie-on-Line ?
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 31 August 2013 7:29:58 PM
Bazz

‘A little history, the government was pressured to force the lending
organisations to lend on two incomes.
It was considered a victory by certain womens' groups.’

A little history ... In 1971, the US switched from a bullion-backed to a credit-based global currency. Whereas bullion kept debt under control, a credit-based system could be expanded ad infinitum. Since then, credit across the Western world has gone through the roof, leading to runaway growth, especially in real estate, but NOT backed up by increases in real productivity or higher wages.

THIS is why a 19th century worker’s cottage in parts of Sydney is now worth over a million and why young and not so young couples right across the country are struggling with crippling mortgages/rents and expanding household debt.

But, by all means, blame it on feminism.
Posted by Killarney, Saturday, 31 August 2013 8:02:27 PM
Jay, Killarney, who was it that forced you into subcontracting, rather than a PAYE wage earner?

I can only assume you chose that approach as offering some advantage. If you have chosen the wrong method of earning a living, change it.

If you have chosen a dying profession, change it quickly. Many have been up bling alleys, & had to retreat & start again.

Some of us find our trust misplaced. I spent 8 years salvaging a bankrupt company, only to find it sold, & me out of work once it was sound.

I took this as an opportunity & at 58 I started a little business doing something I had wanted to, but never actually done. Looking back I am so grateful. I really enjoyed my next 8 years.

Life can still be pretty good, if you grab it, & shake it hard enough.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 31 August 2013 9:29:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy