The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dick Smith and other good news > Comments

Dick Smith and other good news : Comments

By Syd Hickman, published 12/8/2013

Maybe when the dust of this election clears Smith will contribute to a more broadly based realist party prepared to show leadership across a range of serious issues confronting us.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
< If Kevin wins the ALP will have to figure put how to contain his god-like genius. If he loses they will have to decide what to do with him. >

Hahaha.

< Abbott is clearly not up to the job of devising and driving a national agenda so a grownup will have to take charge… >

Haaa hahaaa!!

Or at least it would be funny if it wasn’t so true!! ( :> (

Yes, Dick Smith’s recent docco was excellent.

Ohhh… if only the Stable Population Party was a major political force in this election… and Dick was running for PM!!
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 12 August 2013 8:29:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SPP is basically a front for anti-immigration push by Roy Beck and NumbersUSA and John Tanton in the States.

http://imagine2050.newcomm.org/2013/01/21/the-grover-norquist-of-immigration-roy-beck-of-numbersusa-visits-politicians-in-australia/

The aim is to split the Green vote by inveigling their way in to the environment movement. This is an Australian first and quite interesting from a news angle. They will get votes, no doubt, but it will be a curious amalgam of National Front romper stompers, macrobiotic fire twirlers and a smattering of nervous former Democrats.

The SPP are Pauline Hanson in a rented koala suit.
Posted by Cheryl, Monday, 12 August 2013 8:30:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why are you telling us this Cheryl?

I mean, if it was true, you’d be fully supporting it, and not wanting to let it be widely known, yes?

Wot with splitting the green vote and tangling up environmental policy with right-wing extremist connections!

Hmmmm, yeas. Classic instantly dismissable diatribe… of the sort that we on OLO have become so familiar with you for spouting!

You have shot yourdearself in the foot with this one Cheryl! ( :>)
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 12 August 2013 9:42:29 AM
"If, as is much more likely, he wins, they will have to sort out who will actually run the government. Abbott is clearly not up to the job of devising and driving a national agenda so a grownup will have to take charge, and many will believe they are that person."

Lol!
So true.

I agree with the author that both Rudd and Abbott leave a lot to be desired as far as leadership goes, but I don't agree that people like Dick Smith are the answer to the way forward.

I agree with Cheryl's views, despite Ludwig's deliberate misinterpretations of her post.
The Stable Population Party are just another of those racist, one agenda parties that spout up and then die away...like the One Nation Party.

If Dick supports such political views, then he needs to stick to business rather than politics.
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 12 August 2013 10:16:05 AM
Dear o dear Suse!

I don’t suppose you saw Dick’s recent documentary – Ten Dollars a Litre?

Not about population. All about our energy future.

I think you are on a huge loser if you are going to just completely dismiss Dick Smith…. Or the SPP.

Take a look at our society and the things that we really need to do. Then take a look and Dick and SPP. Then after you’ve done that, you can surely not find it within yourself to just simply roundly condemn either of them!

<< The Stable Population Party are just another of those racist, one agenda parties that spout up and then die away...like the One Nation Party.>>

Wow! That is extraordinary. Not what I would have expected from you. I am now seeing you in a very different light to the impression I’ve had of you over the last few years!

And um, would you please spell out just what it is that you think I have misrepresented from Cheryl’s post. Thanks.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 12 August 2013 12:07:54 PM
Nice bias piece there Syd.

As for Dick Smiths Doco, let me start by saying I admire him and always listen to what he say, as he is a self made millionair and I always aspire to anyone who paves their own way.

However, when you analyze his Doco, in particular his reference to ten bucks a litre, we must remember, his prediction is little more than relying on History as a gauge.

I say this because when I started driving, 1977, petrol was 19cents per litre, so in 36 years the cost of fuel had doubled more than three times.

So based on that scenario, it won't take too long for petrol to reach ten buck a litre anyway.

So in reality, it was a bit of a beat up,but I enjoyed it anyway.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 12 August 2013 7:39:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy