The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Meanwhile in Ireland, citizens take the lead > Comments

Meanwhile in Ireland, citizens take the lead : Comments

By David Morris, published 18/7/2013

Once a month a group of sixty-six randomly selected citizens meet up for a weekend with thirty-three politicians and discuss how to update the Irish constitution.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
David, you seem to be upset that our constitution is old. You keep harping on about the 21st century as if we have to change our constitution because the calendar says so. Why? Because it can't be a good constitution if it wasn't made by people living in the 21st century.

Sorry, David. Not a good enough reason. Our constitution (and the political stability that results from it) is the envy of the world. We should only change it if there is such a good reason that an overwhelming majority of Australians can actually see the improvement that will result. That doesn't happen often. In fact I predict that it won't happen for a long time. Proposed constitutional changes for local government and recognising Aborigines will fail because there's no good reason for them. They might be popular in the trendy inner circles, but not in the suburbs.

Now I'm sure you are slyly suggesting we should ditch the Queen. That's your stated opinion. But we won't just because it's the 21st century. You'll have to come up with a way better argument than that. And stop inferring that we are somehow backward by valuing customs, traditions and institutions that have admirably stood the test of time.
Posted by Captain Col, Friday, 19 July 2013 9:44:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"David, you seem to be upset that our constitution is old. You keep harping on about the 21st century as if we have to change our constitution because the calendar says so. Why?"

It's is gob smackingly obvious as to why, it's no longer "fit for purpose", much like our entire Parliamentary system.

That I can't vote online in a participatory democracy, that parliament can't be more "liquid" are but two simple examples of the stupidity of clinging to a system that's long ago outdated. We don't need a majority of politicians, they are superfluous, we need a majority of citizens.

Do I have all the answers ? but I do know the current system is broken. One only has to spend 30 mins looking at our current system and you can;t come away thinking it's insane, Kafka gone mad indeed.
Posted by Valley Guy, Saturday, 20 July 2013 6:09:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Valley Guy, our system is so "insane, Kafka gone mad indeed" that it has produced stable, responsible government, supported by the people, changed regularly without bloodshed or violence, in contrast to pretty much every other country in the world. Yup, let's trash it so that we can try out some juvenile's vision of utopia.

Great plan! "It's is gob smackingly obvious as to why."
Posted by Captain Col, Saturday, 20 July 2013 8:39:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy