The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Knitting up a storm in a teacup > Comments

Knitting up a storm in a teacup : Comments

By EJ Cook, published 27/6/2013

We get what we deserve with the Australian news media.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
The press coverage of the Gonksi report has been abysmal.

In February 2012,the Gonksi report recommended keeping the Howard government’s SES funding model for schools. Not once since that day has The Age or The Australian reported this fact.

The government accepted the recommendation to keep the Howard government’s SES funding model for schools. Not once has The Age reported this fact, and The Australian has reported it only once.

The legislation to keep the Howard government’s SES funding model for schools passed the Senate last night. The Age has not reported this fact, and The Australian has not reported this fact. Instead, they pretend that the SES model has been replaced.

By adopting the Gonksi plan, Labor is gradually moving schools off its own socially just education resources index model of the 1990s and onto the Coalition’s socially segregating socio-economic status funding model of the 2000s - and no-one in the commentariat, apart from Paul Kelly, has noticed. Article after article pretends that the Gonski plan is something it is not. Letter after letter from me pointing out the truth is not published.

People who want chapter and verse can refer to my posts at http://community.tes.co.uk/tes_opinion/f/31/t/576719.aspx?pi2132219857.
Posted by Chris C, Thursday, 27 June 2013 9:05:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wonders will never cease.

It is nice the ex prime minister has at least one skill to fall back on. Perhaps she can develop it as an industry.

It just goes to show, everybody can be good at something, even Gillard.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 27 June 2013 10:48:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hurrah! 50% of the comments so far focus on a policy issue! Let's see how long we can keep up the average...

I really would have liked to see more coverage of Gonski yesterday. School funding is a complex thing, but it makes sense to me that schools experiencing the most disadvantage might need a public funding boost to get them over the line in providing for their students.
Posted by EJ Cook, Thursday, 27 June 2013 12:00:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy