The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Edward Snowden: should Australians be worried? > Comments

Edward Snowden: should Australians be worried? : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 13/6/2013

In defence of PRISM President Obama has told American’s not to worry. PRISM is designed to spy on foreigners. Does that mean us?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Sadly this is another, and a particularly good, example of the 'change you can believe in'. There will be no going back on this. Edward Snowden will ultimately join either Bradley Manning in the dock, or Julian Assange in exile.
And that is a change we can believe in.
We were so blinded by the foolishness of Dubya that we failed to consider carefully that the institutions that give structure to our society have truly betrayed our trust. Such as the presidency of the USA. Obama may not have started this slide, but neither has he done ANYTHING to arrest it. The current POTUS is renowned for his oratorical expertise, and it doesn't seem to matter which side of his face he is talking out of.
Cheney called it straight-up when he announced we would go walking on the dark side. The question now is, can we find our way back?
Posted by halduell, Thursday, 13 June 2013 7:36:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Pete,
I think is the tip off the iceberg and yes we should be worried. With the amount of traffic(comms)that passes through US sites and the paranoia exhibited by the US in regards to terrorism and security the prospects are not great for any country's security communication. What the Australian security network have or use regarding Australian communications is unknown to date and I do doubt that it will be fully investigated. The other issue is that Australia or any other country does not have the economic power or political will to stop the US from communication spying.
Posted by romingfree, Thursday, 13 June 2013 8:01:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think our Govt agencies are doing likewise. This is not about protecting us but having absolute control. Fascism is alive and thriving in the West.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 13 June 2013 8:25:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Pete
This is close to my old stomping ground. I believe you are right as regards the Minister for Defence. The Intelligence Services Act 2001 comes under portfolio responsibility of Defence Minister as it relates to DIGO, DIO and DSD.

In actual fact the PM does sit on the National Security Committee of Cabinet. Julia Gillard came under attack a couple a few years ago for sending her bodyguard to the meeting in her stead when she was acting Deputy PM.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 13 June 2013 11:55:35 PM
Another thoughtful contribution from Plantagenet. I do wonder, tho, about his uncharacteristic credulity in relying on the responsibility of the spooks who actually do the work in the agencies. I guess Snowden and (in a different way) our own Andrew Wilkie tend to refute me, but just the same I'd hate to be depending on individual acts like that for protection from overinquisitive governments. No, the legal protections (in Australia) he cites reassure me more, though in principle there is still nothing to stop the NSA/CIA/GCHQ/whatever snooping on me. If they do, they won't be bored, but they won't catch many crims or terrorists, either.
Posted by The Godless, Thursday, 13 June 2013 11:55:56 PM
The Yanks see the people of the world as foreigners who are either enemies of American interests or useful, easily-manipulated allies.

Yanks are consumed by self-interest and their minds are filled with fantasies about how 'exceptional' they are even when they are ruthlessly and barbarically destroying other nations and cultures in the name of imperialism and greed.

With America as a 'friend', you don't need enemies!
Posted by David G, Friday, 14 June 2013 9:57:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy