The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The latest ICTY verdict and why you should care > Comments

The latest ICTY verdict and why you should care : Comments

By Mishka Góra, published 31/5/2013

There are two fundamental reasons justice was not done yesterday, two reasons every decent human being should shudder.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Cohenite is absolutely right. Religion, like sex, is strictly for consenting adults. If I had my druthers I would bar all schools devoted to ensuring that children hear no world-views outside their parents' particular superstitions. With all the talk of a tolerant Australia, how about tolerance of intolerance? Like intolerance of unbelief, or of blasphemy, or of apostasy, or of impiety? Intolerance of these things is bigotry, especially where enforced, and tolerance of bigotry and of those who seek to enforce it is not tolerance of a race.

As a settlement established by armed invasion and unjust incarceration and racism, Australia was not founded on the values of the Enlightenment - reason, democracy, justice, individual human rights - but we have inched forward substantially over the past three centuries. We need to rebuff uncompromisingly any anti-Enlightenment demands and their throwback authors. Throwbacks are not a race, and whoever they are they have engulfed unwary civilisations before.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Sunday, 2 June 2013 12:14:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
EmperorJulian - As a settlement established by armed invasion and unjust incarceration and racism, Australia was not founded on the values of the Enlightenment

Would you care to nominate any society that WAS 'founded on the values of the Enlightenment' ??
Posted by praxidice, Sunday, 2 June 2013 12:26:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Would you care to nominate any society that WAS 'founded on the values of the Enlightenment' ? - Praxidice

America 1776, France 1792, Australia 1901. Many others grew from pre-Enlightenment days to base themselves on the advances of the Enlightenment and are founded broadly on those values today. Not many (if any) countries today are unmixed with and unaffected by throwbacks. Moslem countries are run by throwbacks though Turkey is trying to slough them off.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Sunday, 2 June 2013 1:04:43 PM
EmperorJulian

In previous posts you have stated specificially that you do NOT consider Australia was 'NOT founded on the values of the Enlightenment'
To copy verbatim from an earlier post As a settlement established by armed invasion and unjust incarceration and racism, Australia was not founded on the values of the Enlightenment' Furthermore, since the US was also the subject of armed invasion (the bvarious indian tribes certainly would have thought so), unjust incarceration (slavery) and racism (KKK), I suggest that it likewise does not fit your 'Enlightenment' criteria. As for the frogs, If my history is correct there was no shortage of head-amputation done circa 1791 - 1792, whether that fits with the Age of Reason is questionable.
Posted by praxidice, Sunday, 2 June 2013 1:42:10 PM
To Praxidice

Some English words have two or more distinct meanings. It's not all that hard to select the meaning from the (usually grammatical-structural) context.

The clue to "found" is the tense - was founded, is founded.

*To found as an event (like the settlement of Australia) or as an initial state of being, Australia 1789 and for many years thereafter maybe to at least mid-19th century .
*Te be founded on something as an existing state of being, or a currently accepted set of laws, procedures and constitution. Culture. Australia now.

The key to Enlightenment values as distinct from those of the ancien régime is the recognition that nobody is born to rule. That is a point of reference. I think I may be at my allowed limit for posts in one thread so you'll have to figure the rest out yourself.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Sunday, 2 June 2013 5:02:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy