The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abortion gets leave pass from ethical and medical standards > Comments

Abortion gets leave pass from ethical and medical standards : Comments

By Debbie Garratt, published 28/5/2013

The failure to deal promptly with a late term abortionist in Victoria raises questions about our attitudes to abortion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Shalmaneser, seriously?
Well let's assume I'm a simple little person who needs your words of wisdom to set me straight.
Give it your best shot.
Posted by rational-debate, Wednesday, 29 May 2013 9:47:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Killarney, please don't upset me any more than I already am about the Abbott's almost inevitable shot at the big job in September!

As much as I don't trust a man like him, I doubt he would have the numbers behind him in his party to change the abortion laws.

He is smart enough to consider the possibility of a larger female backlash against him than is already there, if he tries to tighten hard fought for abortion laws.

Rational debates wants us to show him why he is wrong about pro-choice people.
We don't need to do that, because the law tells us we are right.
Abortion is legal, and will remain so.
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 29 May 2013 9:02:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suseonline

Actually, abortion is NOT legal in Australia. Because of the vague wording of current abortion legislation, most people have been lulled into a false sense of security about its legal status.

The ACT is the only state or territory that has struck abortion completely off the criminal statute books. Everywhere else, the State/Territory-based laws (to varying degrees) allow abortion ONLY where the pregnancy poses a threat to the pregnant woman's life or her physical or mental health - which is widely open to interpretation.

The wording has been left vague, so that governments don't have to upset the still very active, wealthy and influential anti-abortion lobby.

In the absence of a conscience vote in parliament, a landslide victory to Abbot could very easily give him the numbers he needs to reword the current legislation to make abortion very litigation- and conviction-friendly again.
Posted by Killarney, Wednesday, 29 May 2013 11:39:53 PM
R0bert

It looks as if you were far too busy proving your own selective prejudices about reverse sexism to bother to even read my comment properly. I won’t waste my time addressing your every misinterpretation of what I wrote, as I’d be here all day.

Suffice to say that if men want to lobby for the legal right to reject financial responsibility for a child they don’t want, that’s their prerogative. It’s not the job of the women (and men) of the pro-abortion camp. That job is to protect and maintain the legal right of women to choose to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

Unfortunately, attitudes like yours – i.e. that women who struggle for the women’s rights are hypocrites if they don’t struggle for men’s rights too – is as commonplace as it is insufferable.

My advice to men like you is paddle your own canoe. Don’t expect women to fight your gender battles for you.
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 30 May 2013 12:36:27 AM
Killarney, an old excuse but not valid. Its not only a failure to support choice for both genders its an active rejection of the concept that sticks out as the hypocracy I refer to. They are quite different things.

Its really clear that for many the concepts of choice and personal automomy are words used to support rights for women and not concepts with any real meaning.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 30 May 2013 5:11:32 AM
Suseonline, you have not addressed my question at all, but I get used to that in this debate. There are myriad logical fallacies and philosophical contradictions in the so called pro-choice debate, but don't you dare be the one to point them out...
So resort to cheap shots and smart-alec comments to avoid the issues if you must but don't presume that makes you right.
Posted by rational-debate, Thursday, 30 May 2013 4:52:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy