The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > True nature: revising ideas on what is pristine and wild > Comments

True nature: revising ideas on what is pristine and wild : Comments

By Fred Pearce, published 17/5/2013

New research shows that humans have been transforming the earth and its ecosystems for millenniums - far longer than previously believed.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
You poor fellow, Hazza – your heart and your head are in serious conflict!!

Ouch!!

Methinks you have a developed a terribly unfortunate impression of ‘greenies’!
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 19 May 2013 6:56:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual - He (Richardson) was standing in front of a re-planted forest !

Intelligence is unfortunately an optional extra that politicians rarely if ever select. We aren't alone in having brain-dead politicians, I recall a certain George Bush peering through binoculars and uttering all the expected 'oohs' and 'aahs' on que, until someone noticed the protective lens caps were still on the binoculars the idiot was peering through !!
Posted by praxidice, Sunday, 19 May 2013 10:42:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Luddy old mate, I take people as I find them.

In my experience, every rock you turn over will be concealing a greenie with yet another cunning plan, that looks OK on the surface, but, but has a nasty scorpion like sting in it's tail, designed to consign the legitimate rights of property owners, to them.

I was on the Logan & Albert water management committee some time back, during the drought, when Beattie wanted to pinch everyone's water to pump into Brisbane. Beattie, you may recall, had poor vision & could never see past the votes in Brisbane & suburbs. We found an unholy alliance between the greens & the public servants to rip off the country bumpkins.

For example many primary producers on the upper reaches of our coastal rivers have water harvesting rights, on their little creeks. A thunder storm will have a 20 meter deep, 100 meter wide torrent run past their property for a couple of hours. Within a few hours the creek is back to a trickle. They have very large pumps to harvest a little of it as it rushes past.

The greenies, some of them public servants, had snuck in a clause that had a trigger for the commencement of harvesting. The Luscombe weir way down near the salt water, had to be full before harvesting could commence.

Sounds fair, except that it takes 2 days for a fresh to get there, by which time harvestable levels of water is long gone from the head waters.

Fortunately one country bumpkin had heard of this trick, used elsewhere, & when confronted with it, the bureaucrats went to water & dropped it.

Just one example of many they tried at those conferences, & why I find that when it comes to sticking a knife in someone's back, greenies make Gillard look like a total amateur.

That is why I say, if you are productive, better wear armor on your back. There is sure to be a greenie behind you with a long sharp knife
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 19 May 2013 11:59:50 AM
Lots of things change the environment, gums burn things, ruminants cause grass, blue / green algae cause oxygen, greens waste money and southern temperate rainforests are dominated by as few as 4 species. Pristine implies some Theocratic inspired "perfect" (static?) state which is crazy in a dynamic world still exiting the last ice age. A better definition of goals is really needed.
Posted by McCackie, Thursday, 23 May 2013 5:51:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy