The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hold the front page! We need free media, not an Order of Mates. > Comments

Hold the front page! We need free media, not an Order of Mates. : Comments

By John Pilger, published 10/5/2013

A lesson that endures is that when the rich and powerful own the means of popular enlightenment and dress it up as a 'free press' the opposite is usually true.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I too feel the frustration of censorship, bias and omission from our MSM and public broadcasters but probably for an entirely different set of reasons to Johns.

My reasons might include public broadcasters proselytizing things that they think are important, failing to investigate stories they feel are not important and blatant journalistic activism.

I also think that John’s criticisms are more about a rapidly changing media world that no longer offers him the opportunities for his own journalistic activism.

I have my doubts that there is much future for journalists like John. He will just have to write on-line articles, which leaves him, like everyone else, with the challenge of making a case to those who can think for themselves, apply logic and use cognitive skills.

Apart from regularly complaining that the world is not what John ordered, he also seems to be suffering relevance deficiency syndrome. It’s worth noting that when you have Rhrosty on your side, things are not looking too good at all
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 10 May 2013 11:44:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Julian Burnside, barrister and human rights advocate
wrote an excellent article in March 2012, "Better
Media is Good For Democracy." He's watched the
mainstream media transform and with it observed the
consequent decline of policy debate on the issues that
matter. Burnside pointed out that "It is a strange
paradox that, while we live in a torrent of information,
there is such a limited range of available views."

Burnside confirms that media ownership in Australia is
"notoriously narrow. Mainstream media offers previous
little diversity, and such diversity as there is runs
along predictable lines. The economics of print and
electronic media tends to drive opinion in the direction
of populism. This has unhappy results now that both major
political parties have, it seems, abandoned their founding
principles and form policies by reference to media coverage
and to news polls and focus groups in particular."

But it is also the case that the internet offers a vast
supply of news and-especially opinion. However as Burnside
tells us, "to dive into that pool in order to learn something
different is to risk drowning."

Just as mainstream traditional media are full of voices
(mostly strident) telling government what to do, so the
blogosphere and social media are full of voices - more
numerous and diverse, and often more strident - doing the
same. As Burnside says, "those of us who are torn between
the desert of mainstream media and the jungle of the internet
need a place where rational but diverse views can be found
on matters of enduring importance."

In these circumstances we're told that it is more important
than ever to have an outlet which is rational and principled,
without being biased to any social or political position.

But finding such a place is no easy task. However, it helps
to research a wider variety of outlets and public libraries
are a good place to start.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 10 May 2013 12:25:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ok, i woukd like to see any subject at all discussed, assuming that it is based on reasonable evidence.

I would assume that OLO is as good a place to do so.

to digress a bit, one of my biggest dissapointments about Aust is shows like Q&A and even the Insiders whih hardly debate the real issues of concern, such as our economic predicament and where we are heading.

I think that if Q&A got real players up, such as farmers, we would get a different picture of things, and our policy elites may indeed work harder to find better solutions
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 10 May 2013 1:17:32 PM
I'm pleased to see that Pilger has some admirers, including me.

There are so few journalist who are willing to tell it as it is or are allowed to do so. The bulk of journalists are 'Yes-Men', as in 'Yes, boss, whatever you say I'll write! Now bend over and I'll kiss your ass!'

Of course, Australian politicians of all shades have ensured virtual media monopolies as if their political lives depend on it, which they do.

Pilger does not compromise. He stands alone.
Posted by David G, Friday, 10 May 2013 2:29:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David G. I seem to remember a quote that went, if you and your boss invariably share the same opinion, then one of you is clearly redundant!
Spindoc, as usual, you play the man and not the ball.
Perhaps one of these days you might care to actually address the issue with some unusual for you, intelligent relevant commentary?
I just won't hold my breath!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 10 May 2013 7:13:34 PM
John Pilger is right.Since now only a few Corporates control our media and Govts,there is no democracy.Even the rule of law has little impact as the criminals who caused the GFC and the wars of imperialism,are totally free to pursue their evil agendas.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 11 May 2013 9:47:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy