The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Suspected but not charged: the Rolf Harris problem > Comments

Suspected but not charged: the Rolf Harris problem : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 23/4/2013

The moment Rolf Harris' name made it to the press, his reputation was vaporised by speculation and condemnation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
He would have been the last person I'd have suspected but then, he is in the entrainment industry.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 3:50:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've no idea whether Rolf Harris is guilty of an offence(s) or not ? But now, it's all rather too late, isn't it ? He's been 'unveiled' as some sort of a sexual predator ? As such he'll wear that unproven imputation for the remainder of his life. His 80+ year character, will ever more, be discredited by rumour and ill-founded accusations. Yet another instance of 'trial by media' is all ?
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 5:35:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I completely disagree, o sung wu.

>>But now, it's all rather too late, isn't it ? He's been 'unveiled' as some sort of a sexual predator?<<

Given that there has been no indication of what sort of charge might at some point be laid against him, why would you even bother to speculate that it is to do with sex? The category under which he was being examined was the vaguest of the three used by Operation Yewtree - "complaints against other people unconnected to the Savile investigations". For all we know, it might be a complaint by the Queen in retaliation for execrable "portrait" that made her look like a rabid jerbil on speed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4541388.stm

Why don't we all have a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down. If there is any substance, I'm sure we will hear about it sooner or later. In the meantime, speculating about what "it" might be is all rather undignified, don't you think?
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 6:20:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner <"if Rolf is innocent and few know, I suppose he would feel a little like many Catholic Priests who have been completely demonised mainly by the usual culprits."

As dreadful as any child sexual abuse is Runner, it is always that little bit more disgusting when perpetrated by those who think they are ' God's servants on the Earth', and put themselves out there as morally above all the rest.

Pericles, it is a human trait to speculate, and I do believe that Operation Yewtree involves a British police enquiry into potential and actual sexual predators.

I agree that all arrests of this nature should be named, if for no other reason than keeping other potential victims away from them.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 8:26:32 PM
"I agree that all arrests of this nature should be named, if for no other reason than keeping other potential victims away from them."

And there's the balance bit. If cleared how does the previously named person ever really clear their name.

Even if completely innocent there will be those who assume that they got off on a technicality or due to lack of evidence. Others will avoid them because of the smell of that particular type of scandal, innocent or not.

As a society we need to find constructive ways of deal with the real abusers whilst doing everything possible to protect the innocent from harm resulting from false accusations. To far either way and we have an abusive system in itself.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 8:51:50 PM
Good evening PERICLES...

A rather different intellectual approach you've taken, claiming the matter that has arisen linking Harris with a sexual predator, (now deceased) might not be ?

Indeed perhaps he did insult HM, by secretly including a 'devil's image' in her hair arrangement, as did one enterprising Canadian Artist/Engraver, on a batch of Canadian Banknotes ? I wouldn't know, and neither would you PERICLES.

I know well, of a matter that I dealt with (as case officer) some years ago now, where a female was accused of inflicting serious injury upon an infant in her care. Without divulging specifics, it was alleged she'd occasioned physical harm to the child, because it wouldn't stop crying.

Her 'loving' neighbours gave vivid accounts, of 'witnessing' and hearing the female person shouting at the infant, in bouts of anger. Initially, I believed in the overall sufficiency and quality of the evidence at that time.

Further enquiries revealed, that most of her 'lovely' neighbours merely wanted them moved out, because they believed she and her extended family, didn't quite 'fit' into their ideal, of their select neighbourhood ?

Some six or eight weeks later, she did move, she electrocuted herself in her bath. A good result for her caring neighbours - and again, more evidence of the horrific emotional damage occasioned by 'Chinese whispers'.

There again PERICLES, the desire of most of us mere mortals, to possess a personality of a type where a cup of tea and a Bex is sufficient to ensure that we remain somewhat sequestered even inoculated from life's challengers and emotional torment ? That's indeed a rare gift, so value it while you still can, ol' boy
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 10:03:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy