The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Imagination may be more important than knowledge > Comments

Imagination may be more important than knowledge : Comments

By Murray Hunter, published 23/4/2013

Creating the world of tomorrow with the power of future thinking.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
This is just the sort of nonsense that bedevils our education system in both schools and universities. Thinking and creativity are founded and grounded in knowledge, without which they become mere fantasy.
Posted by Senior Victorian, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 10:04:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Short on facts and long on fantasy.
This could be the theme for postmodern education.
However, if I were to fly to Bali I would want to go in an aeroplane which met the requirements of Bernoulli's principle (look it up!)- there is no alternative.
And if I wished to live at Sanctuary Cove, which is nearby, I would use a bridge that satisfied Lami's Theorem - you know, just like one of those boring old roman bridges that does not fall down.
The are no fantasy alternatives to the laws of nature however creative you might be.

By the way Sanctuary Cove is in southern Queensland not FNQ, but it might be fun to move it furter north by imagination!
Posted by CARFAX, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 10:08:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Murray convinced me. Convinced me that imagination is a bloody dangerous thing.

Without it we would never have had a Y2K bug, or the Global Warming foolishness. When imagination can produce such expensive stupidities, it aught to be banned.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 10:35:33 AM
Without imagination and all the what ifs it inspires, we would still be living in caves and running our food down with a stone on a stick!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 12:16:14 PM
So how is 'strategic imagination' different from deductive reasoning, exactly? I've always found that to be a good way to recognize and evaluate opportunities. Come to think of it, 'intellectual imagination' seems to be pretty much the same thing too.

But this is the kind of article that modern pedagogy thrives on: take a large dollop of the bleeding obvious, dress it up in mildly confusing language, and sell it as a panacea for all our educational ills. Continue until the punters wake up to themselves, then rinse and repeat.
Posted by Jon J, Tuesday, 23 April 2013 2:24:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy