The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Insidious discrimination > Comments

Insidious discrimination : Comments

By Laura Soderlind, published 19/4/2013

In today's politically correct world, homophobia can be a shadowy and hard to identify beast that can even wear the clothes of the left.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
LOL

For a while there Ms Soderlind had me fooled.

But then I came across this:

>>Just as I hope that ... Muslim Australians, support my rights, ...>>

And then the penny dropped.

This is a spoof piece.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 19 April 2013 11:33:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Kiwis really should have been more careful about just what they were electing to their parliament, now shouldn't they.

Being behind them is quite often a good idea. It is a good thing we ignore much of their foolishness, like you would with a kid brother.

We could have been stupid enough to follow them with the banning of US ships, just incase they may have had nuclear weapons on board.

I guess when you have a big continent like Oz to hide behind you can afford to indulge in such youthful foolishness.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 20 April 2013 1:10:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Isn't bored stiff good, it was an issue but most don't give a rats if your gay any more? How about a meaningful topic, such as endemic waste in government, the collapse in mining investment or street violence? Surely she should be coming of age and starting to care for the (putative) fruit of her life?
Posted by McCackie, Saturday, 20 April 2013 8:08:05 AM
I am personally for gay marriage equality. I however, with massive changes in the de facto legislation, and the ability of gay parents to have both partners named as parents etc, don't see this last barrier to equality as an issue worth the barricades.

It will come, probably not as one sweeping reform, but as incremental changes over the next few years. The last vestiges of sexual conservatism that can decide elections will oppose a major change, but not small increments.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 20 April 2013 8:59:12 AM
As I've pointed out regularly I think the government should get out of the business of registering relationships unless some substantial and tangible benefit can be shown for doing so. If they do insist in continuing in the business then they should not discriminate on the basis of sexual or numerical orientation.

As for the article I was less than impressed. A sense of being a little precious about it all with an underflow of double standards. Some not stated but in context very likely.

The suggestion that Muslim's should support gay marriage would seem to be an example of the same kind of disrespect for others lives that the author is making an issue of. Whilst I happen to disagree with them there are plenty of reasons within the context of their faith for muslims and christians to oppose gay marriage.

I'm left wondering what the authors response would be to the concerns of white male heterosexual's on some of the issues we face in society, would our concerns be negated in the same way that the authors friend negated her concerns.

I consider how often my girl friend is referred to as my wife in interactions with people around. Is that cause for offence or just life?

I'm reminded how often I've seen same sex activists make it clear that they don't support others rights to pluralistic marriage using very similar arguments to those used to oppose same sex marriage.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Saturday, 20 April 2013 9:29:48 AM
"Homophobia needs to be radically reconceptualised. Gay people may no longer get spat at, but they are being stung by stray throwaway comments. These words, that are sculpted and sharpened by carelessness, form the newfangled bullets of homophobia."

Boo hoo!

Replace the word homophobia with almost any any other group of people and it still applies, try Ageism, Atheism ,Religion, Christianity, Depression,etc
Posted by saussie, Saturday, 20 April 2013 7:33:56 PM
The problem is that there are people who have been making a jolly good living -in some cases for life times- out of being experts on all manners of 'discrimination. Now that government has tipped the scales so firmly in the direction of the said victim groups, those with their snouts firmly in the trough of taxpayers' money must be feeling a bit weak at the knees that the guvvy money might slow to a trickle. In that case they might have to get real jobs.
Posted by onthebeach, Saturday, 20 April 2013 9:24:21 PM
We're now seeing the fruits of "progressive" gender policies, though it's been a long maturing tree, Feminists like Judith Grossman are now aghast that their beautiful, caring, sensitive sons are now being royally screwed in the rear by the system their mothers created:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324600704578405280211043510.html
In twenty years all you supporters of "Gay" marriage and the "incremental" changes it will bring will be crying into your beer over the plight of your genetically engineered grandchildren or whatever other catastrophic bio-medical "advances" come about as a result of your attitudes. There was a very moving call to the John Faine program on Thursday, a woman who was sobbing uncontrollably as she described the suffering she went through and the humiliation she felt growing up with same sex parents.
Imagine how a clone would feel? How would a genetically engineered "boy" with no Y chromosome and Lesbian parents feel?
The goal is equality, it doesn't stop with marriage, the "Gay" advocates have never claimed that legal equality was the end point of their agenda and when you look at the real wingnut end of the spectrum they talk a lot about eradicating Y chromosomes and inhibiting or removing testosterone from male children then using other chemical means for sex selection.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 21 April 2013 11:58:28 AM
There's also another unsettling angle here, Gay men, do you trust the overwhelmingly feminist human services bureaucracy and child services industry to honestly and objectively deal with you and your children?
To them you are still just men and they believe that men caring for children is a recipe for incest and brutality, can you rule out being discriminated against and having your children removed on flimsy "she said" pretexts? Could you forsee a scenario where a male child of Gay men was removed from his parents and given to a Lesbian couple?
The problem is not "Gay" marriage, it's the people who will be overseeing and regulation of such relationships, which given their unorthodox nature will obviously come under very heavy state scrutiny, especailly in the areas of adoption and reproductive technology.
So I'd ask again gay men, given their rather hideous record of brutalising and their children men do you trust human services, child welfare, the Police and the family courts?
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 21 April 2013 12:11:35 PM
Gah,I can't type, last line should read "brutalising men and their children".
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 21 April 2013 12:13:41 PM
There are many other issues to consider which on the face of it may seem unimportant, at present if a husband and wife are involved in a crime requiring a jail sentence they're sent to separate prisons, will same sex married offenders demand cell sharing rights and will known straight people be required to share a cell with a known homosexual, just wondering!?
Posted by saussie, Sunday, 21 April 2013 2:54:02 PM
Saussie, Silly ! Silly !!
Posted by Kipp, Monday, 22 April 2013 11:12:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy