The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The new propaganda is liberal. The new slavery is digital. > Comments

The new propaganda is liberal. The new slavery is digital. : Comments

By John Pilger, published 18/3/2013

Today's 'message' of grotesque inequality, social injustice and war is the propaganda of liberal democracies.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
We live in an age when the unspeakable becomes the normal and the unspeakable of times past is clothed in lies, deceit and a refusal to confront the reality of what we have become.

It is worth noting that last saturday, 16 March 2013, was the 45th anniversary of the massacre of more than 500 men, women and children at the Vietnamese village of My Lai. That is the massacre that is known and remembered, although holding those accountable is still a distant goal. My Lai, as Nick Turse makes clear in his brilliant new book "Killing Everything that Moves (2013) was but one of a huge number of such atrocities. It was known about by American journalists long before Seymour Hersch wrote about it. Yet they chose to remain silent.

Similar atrocities have occurred in Iraq and Afghanistan. Yet it is the whistleblower Bradley Manning that is prosecuted, not the ones who planned, ordered or carried out the attacks. The Nuremberg principle of holding accountable those who commit the supreme crime of waging a war of aggression has gone.

Our press is worse than supine. They are in truth mere purveyors of propaganda on behalf of their corporate masters. Already the drum beat for war against Iran grows louder, the lies justifying the illegal wars against Iraq and Afghanistan already disappeared down the memory hole. The agenda of those who pursue perpetual war for perpetual gain is clear. One of the manifold tragedies is that voices like those of John Pilger are so alone. Read what he has to say and weep for our future.
Posted by James O'Neill, Monday, 18 March 2013 3:59:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I remember John Pilger writing for the London Daily Mirror in the 1960's. The communists were so wonderful and capitalists so awful! It must stick in his throat that communism died and capitalism triumphed and choke him every day.
Well choke away I thought you were rubbish then and this story is no better. No irony John in not realising you think you are so right and we are so wrong lol.
Posted by JBowyer, Monday, 18 March 2013 4:09:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is truly alarming that most Australians are brain-dead. You can tell the brain-dead ones by the way they enthusiastically support the USA, the Evil Empire.

It's not as though there's no evidence about the horrors engaged in by Evil Empire. It's just that the brain-dead don't want to accept it, caught as they are in infantile phantasies conjured up by Disneyland and Hollywood.

J. Pilger is fighting hard to inform people, but not having any success with the brain-dead.

They will wake up when Big Brother enters their lives.

But it will be too late then!
Posted by David G, Monday, 18 March 2013 4:59:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
jbowyer 50 years or so with your head stuck in the sand, quite an achievement! Given your present mindset you appear incapable of comprehending the true essence of what J.P. has been on about for all those years. The ideal of communism was screwed by tyrants and the advance of capitalism screws the rest of us. Wake up lad.
Den 71
Posted by DEN71, Monday, 18 March 2013 8:05:04 PM
JBowyer is trapped in the left/right paradigm.These elites care not what Govt they put in power so long as they can control it.They backed the Russian Communist Party so their banking system could get a foot hold in the USSR.

Currenty via the UN and their 21st Agenda they are pushing for a world Communist Govt in which they will own and control just about everything and everyone.

Rothschild,"Give me control of a nation's currency and I care not who makes the rules." We have a currency but our Govt no longer creates much of it.Hence the West is consumed by debt.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 6:22:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What I find interesting about Pilger's critics is they generalise or make personal insults but never ever seem to attack any of his statements as being false.

Could it be that they simply just don't want to hear what he says because it challenges their view of the world?
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 7:34:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy