The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A floor price would put a lid on alcohol abuse > Comments

A floor price would put a lid on alcohol abuse : Comments

By John Boffa and Bob Durnan, published 13/3/2013

Local town camp residents and their guests can spend pretty well as much time as they like drinking in the town's many bars and clubs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
…The counter attack on the Alcohol Industry should be waged from the obvious consensus point; saving “Children”. With the welfare of children as the sole objective, a strategy of Alcohol containment can be achieved.

…The opening salvo of the war should be a softening up of the Alcohol Industry by artillery bombardment of the take-away venue. The bottle shop represents the “too-public” face of the industry and is directly responsible for the dispensing of cheap and readily available Alcohol at the curb-side. There is a need to drive this industry out of reach of the vulnerable, and can be easily achieved by restricting all sales of alcohol to clubs and Hotels where it must be consumed on-site only; with a proviso that they will be left-alone if they act responsibly, (This move would still give huge scope to the Industry to maintain profits and protect investments).

…As with Cigarette smoking, Alcohol should be banned from all public places in the community. It needs also to be an offense to exceed the legal limit (.05) in the presence of Children in the home; (with the ultimate aim of eliminating Alcohol consumption in the presence of Children altogether).

…On-The-Spot fines should be imposed on drunkenness in public places, and “Random Breath Testing” of pedestrians is a reasonable and acceptable and not unprecedented, since the public acceptance of RBT for motorists is a continuing and publicly accepted strategy for road safety; it is not unreasonable to expect Children are given the same rights, rights to safety and protection from the harm of Alcohol induced violence and other ill-effects in public places and the home,( as Motorists currently are given while driving on the road).

…All the above is simple strategy, but where is the will and those with a big heart in politics to achieve it, (vis a vis the Nicola Roxons)?
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 13 March 2013 1:18:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It really is time for a new name Dan.

How about DICTATOR Dan. that has to be a lot closer to your attitude.

I'm a teetotaler, but would never presume to want to spy on people, in their own homes, or want to demand entrance to breathalyze them. I don't use alcohol, but what they do, legally, is their business.

I suggest you go back to the old communist Russia, where such dictatorial policies were he norm.

I did suggest to a couple of heavy drinking doctors that they should be careful, when they started their crusade against tobacco, to distract attention from the number of their mistakes they bury, that it would come back to bite them.

Well we can see in the rabid approach of diver dan, that I was right. there are always ratbags who want to control their neighbour, who always think they know best.

Dan you must be a labor polly, with your attitude. What is your name? We need to know who not to vote for.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 13 March 2013 1:52:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Diver Dan - a lot of good points there, but you want Wesfarmers and Woolies share holders chasing us down with clubs and AK-47s under cover of darkness, don't you? A bridge too far perhaps ... maybe we need a more achievable plan.
Posted by Dan Fitzpatrick, Wednesday, 13 March 2013 1:58:29 PM
I hope none of you like going out for dinner. I'm a chef so I know exactly how much goon goes into restaurant food and it's not a small quantity. Putting a national floor price on alcohol will push up food costs and we will pass them on to the customer - either that or go bankrupt. When you go out do you really want to pay $5 more for a dish that still tastes the same just because some d!ckheads from Alice Springs can't handle their piss? I don't.

But I'm not too worried. I don't use much alcohol in my own cooking and I only drink beer which won't go up in price.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Wednesday, 13 March 2013 1:59:18 PM
Go ahead and ban it. Start a new black market. After all, prohibition worked so well in America didn't it?

It's just so damn easy to make your own, best you order a few drones from the Americans now!

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/

Where are all these commies coming from these days? Time to start looking under the bed again I think!
Posted by RawMustard, Wednesday, 13 March 2013 2:24:41 PM
Raw Mustard, nobody is talking about banning alcohol (although Diver dan seems to want to sail reasonably close to that aim). Prohibition is not the issue, alcohol can be used safely, but we do need to get better rules applying in order to reduce some of the extreme harms presently accruing to many innocent, defenceless and vulnerable victims of unwise and excessive use of the substance in question.
Posted by Dan Fitzpatrick, Wednesday, 13 March 2013 2:36:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy