The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia cannot ignore rights abuses in West Papua > Comments

Australia cannot ignore rights abuses in West Papua : Comments

By Rachael Bongiorno, published 12/3/2013

West Papauns are seeking an end to the human rights abuses, an end to Indonesia's illegal occupation and an opening up of the province to foreign scrutiny.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
@stevenlmeyer
By "haters", I'm not referring to you, I'm referring to bronte. Honestly I think you have raised some valid points during this discussion. I respect that.

In response to your post, I don't think australia have anything to worry about Indonesia's military power during the next 10-15 years. Our military right now is still below the so-called MEF (minimum essential force). For example we still inplement to this day short ranged surface to air missile with 30-40 yrs old technology. In a war with modern military power such as united states or australia, your missiles or stealth bombers could hit jakarta very easily. I have no doubt Indonesia would some day become major military power (it's a natural thing, considering we have HUGE territory and population we need to defend) , but not sooner than 2030.
I think the people of indonesia have had enough with dictators such as soekarno and soeharto. And fundamentalist movement does not get much support here.
The indonesian public is very sensitive with territorial issue, but it's defensive rather than offensive. For example the ambalat islands dispute with malaysia. (It's the closest thing to a full scale war we have been since east timor).
As long as australia doesn't interfere about papua all will be OK. When you read article like this you should remember that situation in papua is nowhere as chaotic or repressive as the writer try to imply. Since 98 indonesia has implemented regional autonomy, before 98 all infrastructure project was massively corrupted and centered on java and sumatra, now east indonesia is catching up with faster growth, including in papua.
Posted by Bowo88, Monday, 18 March 2013 1:39:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yes, yes, I'm sure the government in Java is fully understanding of the Melanesian people in Papua and wants the best for them. They are full of kindness and gentle humility.

Just as long as their army can keep making money out of the place and burn villages who cooperate with anyone who prefers independence.
Posted by Bronte, Friday, 22 March 2013 9:48:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy