The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Down the drain > Comments

Down the drain : Comments

By Sophie Love, published 12/3/2013

Far better that a landholder takes the time and effort to remove flood generated debris from the river, than it go hurtling further downstream in the next flood.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
…Overpopulation and its effects on climate change is irrefutable by current weather examples. Humanity is ever more deeply involved in the “chaos” of weather change and complicit in its increasing imbalance.

… Forget the butterfly flapping its wings in Brazil and the resulting Tornado in Texas; climate change is more related to the deforestation of the Amazon Jungles and its effects on world climate.
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 12 March 2013 9:33:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sophie. All that you propose sounds eminently sensible to me. Pitty the 'Junk Science' crowd are the ones regulating your land use. Similar junk science regulation cost massively in the recent Tasmanian bush fires. Good luck dealing with the ignorant crowd you need to placate.
Posted by Prompete, Tuesday, 12 March 2013 12:37:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have argued for years, that we clean out the millions of years worth of alluvium, from our rivers.
Deepening main channels by removing most of the debris, will allow larger volumes to flow through unimpeded, thereby removing some of the damning effects, that result in unnecessarily severe flooding. [Most crops and grasslands are destroyed by flood event inundation of any duration.]
Moreover, a subsequent narrowing of the main channels, will also narrow normal flows, and as a consequence, lessen some of the evaporation, that robs both landholders and the environment of essential water. Evaporation currently robs both of around 50% of the water, annually. Halving the width of normal flows ,will also halve evaporation outcomes, or add 25% to annual flows. We need pragmatists, to manage our waterways, not scientifically bankrupt, recalcitrant ideologues!
We really need to manage our waterways, from the mountains down to the sea. We could do worse than follow the very successful land management model, espoused by Peter Andrews. Who was pilloried from pillar to post, by anti dam green groups, who basically wouldn't have a clue, just a recalcitrant mindset; and a locked and bolted mindset at that?
We need the landholders on side, as we have in landcare, to manage our waterways, all of which flow through, mostly private land.
The green army we need to accomplish that management, can be rolled out, as work for the dole schemes.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 12 March 2013 3:18:29 PM
Rhrosty. Excellent contribution. I remember well the pasting Peter Andrews received for proposing we work 'with' the landscape. I do support the notion of the 'Green Army' being incorporated in this way, similar to the now defunct, highly successful 'Green Corps' program of the previous government. Hopefully this will be a component of the 'Direct Action' policy as proposed.
Posted by Prompete, Tuesday, 12 March 2013 4:49:23 PM
That reminds of speaking with a Island leader many years ago. As the islands are a rather fragile little environment I was appalled at the many plastic engine oil bottles etc washed up on the beaches. I suggested to this bloke to get oil in 200 litre drums so whatever amount people want to buy can be decanted into a small container thus eliminating so much waste of plastic bottles. This bloke was then a chairman of the outlet selling the oil & he replied "there's no money in it ".
By my observations this attitude is even more entrenched now.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 13 March 2013 7:43:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy