The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Chrissie Swan: public intervention > Comments

Chrissie Swan: public intervention : Comments

By Karen Pickering, published 13/2/2013

Nicotine is one of the hardest drugs to kick, so shouldn't we be supportive and empathetic towards someone struggling to do just that?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
>>The waiter returned and confirmed that yes, the chef would not serve a steak to a pregnant woman unless it was well done.<<

Then he's an idiot. What restaurant is this?

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 2:45:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Isn't it a strange world? It is taboo to smoke or drink when pregnant but perfectly OK to abort the child because that is a woman asserting her right to control her own body."

Very good point.
Posted by Arthur N, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 4:37:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'It's about finding new and more justifiable ways of controlling women.'

So all the people showing outrage were motivated by the desire to control women's bodies. Do you really think that? Seriously?

Haha pelican, this is exactly what I am on about in the other thread.

'The difference is that she's pregnant and pregnant women's bodies don't belong to them.'

Was Warnie pregnant when he got caught smoking?

'It's an unofficial sport in our society to speculate on the bodies of women – are they too fat, too thin, pregnant yet, not pregnant, showing stretch marks...'

Stop reading women's magazines. Oh that's right, it's 'The Patriarchy and Capitalism', nothing to do with women, they're just hapless victims.

Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 10:04:22 AM

Well summed up.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 5:25:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/foodstoavoid.html

From what I could see on a brief scan it does appear that there may be some good reasons to avoid rare or raw meat when pregnant. Reasons which might place a restaurant at risk of a breach duty if care should a pregnant dinner later decide to sue.

In another light the restaurant acted responsibly and ethically.

I think the problem is with laws that seem to allow scope for people to sue for the consequences of risk they choose to take. When the law makes others responsible for our choices sometimes its going to mean that we have less choice. Thats not about the gender of the body, its about people taking sensible precautions to protect themselves from an insane kegal context.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 7:40:19 PM
I think that if restaurants are going to start dictating what pregnant women should or shouldn't eat for health reasons, then they should go the whole hog and look after the health of all diners.

That's only fair and right isn't it?

So all cholesterol , sugar, salt, additives, possible allergens , alcohol and fats need to be eliminated from all meals.

Ok, so the menu will now be significantly reduced to a few items like lettuce and boiled rice...

I think I will stay home!
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 14 February 2013 1:24:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy