The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Does the CPACS boycott of Israel pass the 'racism' test? > Comments

Does the CPACS boycott of Israel pass the 'racism' test? : Comments

By Daniel Meyerowitz-Katz, published 31/1/2013

Is there a hidden reason for the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies' selective targeting of Israel?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Jeremy:

Actually, what Morocco is doing is far worse than Israel in many ways. Israel actually recognises that the Palestinians have a right to at least most of the West Bank and Gaza. Whatever land grabs Israel is accused of making at least, the Palestinian Authority independently governs about a fifth of the West Bank and all of Gaza is under Palestinian governance.

On the other hand, Morocco completely rejects that the Saharawis have any right at all to govern in the West Sahara. As far as it is concerned, the West Sahara is Moroccan and that's the end of the discussion.

If you want to know why we hear about the Saharawis less than the Palestinians, really it's the same reasons why we don't hear about most oppressed people in the world – like the Uighurs, the Tibetans, the Darfuris, the Nubans, the Eritreans, the Hazara, etc.

For one thing, reporting on those people is risky business. There are thousands of journalists in Jerusalem, because it's not a bad place to live really and your life is definitely not at risk. Journalists in the West Sahara who don't toe the Moroccan government's line have a nasty habit of being beaten-up and imprisoned.

Also, Israel/Palestine is in a very strategic place – it's more or less the land bridge from Africa to Asia, and it is in the epicentre of the world's energy supplies. That means people pay attention to what's going on there. The Saharawi live in an obscure corner of a dessert that nobody pays much attention to.

Plus, the Palestinians have the huge benefit of being supported by the Arab League, which gives them a giant leg-up onto the international stage. The Saharawi have no significant support from any world leaders.

And finally, you can't rule-out the old Orientalism. Arab Muslims oppressing Arabic-speaking Muslims doesn't get much attention as everyone expects Arabs to kill each other like savages, whereas Jews are not allowed to put one foot wrong.
Posted by NQD, Thursday, 31 January 2013 8:58:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don't look for logic or principles in Anti Racism, anti Racists are bad people albeit people who are seemingly able to live with the contradictions and double standards inherent in such a position.
In the mind of an Anti Racist it's perfectly acceptable to be virulently anti Semitic, anti Chinese or anti White as long as the end result is the elimination of "prejudice"...as I said, don't look for the logic in it, it's "Do as we say, not as we do!".
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 1 February 2013 2:31:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh, jeeeez!

Not another one, is David Singer on vacation?
Posted by mac, Friday, 1 February 2013 3:01:13 PM
The author is correct in pointing out that Israel tends to get singled out for its behaviour more often than other like minded human rights abusers. I myself find Israeli behaviour reprehensible and I know that it is not racism that motivates me. I do not like or dislike Jews any more or less than any other race of people. I suspect most other critics of Israeli policy are in the same position as myself.
My reasons for paying more attention to Israeli crimes than those of other odious regimes are as follows.
Firstly, Israel considers itself a "western nation" and a democracy. They constantly claim to be the only real democracy in the middle east.
When Israel behaves badly which it constantly does, this reflects on all western nations and all democracies, proving to the world the Western style democracy is no better than any other tyrannical form of government.
Secondly, our Australian government constantly allies itself with Israel. Israel was "honoured" in our federal parliament on the 60th anniversary of its founding. We do not honour other tyrannical regimes. This gives the impression that we in Australia are in cahoots with Israel and approve of their actions. Whilst our government may be willing to turn a blind eye to Israeli behaviour, I do not want the world to think the average Australian supports it.
Thirdly, it simply sickens me when the oppressor portrays itself as the victim. The total lack of honesty by the government of Israel and its supporters, plus the constant cries of antisemitism whenever their more egregious crimes are pointed out, forces me to respond.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Friday, 1 February 2013 3:17:42 PM
Rhys Jones

I suggest you pay a visit to Israel, because all your preconceived ideas will vanish.

Israel is not an oppressor and the idea of Israel being a 'tyrannical regime" is the best laugh I've had in a while
Posted by SF, Friday, 1 February 2013 3:46:52 PM
Rhys,
Anti Racism = Anti Survival.
"Racism" is a group survival mechanism, if you are opposed to Jewish ethnocentrism you are therefore opposed to their survival as a distinctive and cohesive group. You'll notice that Anti Racists only crawl out from under their rocks when specific groups are displaying ethnocentric,ie "Racist" behaviour, Jews, Chinese, Europeans, the three groups who have the most to offer the world, that tells you all you need to know about "Anti Racists", they're nasty, jealous, weedy little people who in a normal society would be booted of the tribe and left to fend for themselves.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 1 February 2013 6:03:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy