The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Economies should be shaped to suit man > Comments

Economies should be shaped to suit man : Comments

By Nick Rose, published 15/1/2013

However unlike Friedman, Eisenstein's proposals advocate the redistribution of wealth and a more egalitarian society, rather than continued wealth concentration and inequality.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 40
  10. 41
  11. 42
  12. All
Why do the ideas in Eisenstein's book (tripe according to you - what are your qualifications to make such a statement?) upset you so much, Shadow Minister?

Why does my general endorsement of those ideas cause you such angst?

Can't you handle having your world-view questioned?

Do you know everything?

Do you want everyone to think exactly like you?

Cheers.
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 11:08:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DG,
These outdated ideas, rebadged and regurgitated by Eisenstein and Rose, irritate rather than upset me, as they have no basis in reality. I don’t know of a single example of a stable society engendering these values, yet have an abundance of examples where these descended into tyranny. It is like discussing who would win between batman and superman, debate could be furious, but never more than fantasy.

As for my qualifications, I have degrees in engineering, economics and statistics, and an MBA.

I don't know everything, but enough to KNOW that statements like “GDP growth … it is no longer possible, according to the laws of thermodynamics” is technobabble, (as thermodynamics has no bearing on GDP growth.) Etc Etc.

As for your other comments:

Your assertion that those that don't agree with you are uneducated causes annoyance, your endorsement of these ideas engenders pity.

I do enjoy having my world view challenged, as has occurred many times. Robust ideas supported by facts and logic have forced me to confront my values frequently. This cobbled together wishlist, devoid of logic and fact is unlikely to do so.

I don't want everyone to think like me, just to think.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 1:46:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shadow Minister, my major training was in psychology.

The words you have written thus far show clearly that you are not an abstract thinker, not a spiritual person, not a student of philosophy, but you are an enthusiastic disciple of the current economic system which unfairly advantages the greedy and eschews equality.

When a book of ideas comes along you compulsively ridicule it, trash it because it challenges your stereotypical mindset, your many narrow preconceptions.

But don't worry. You're not alone. Most Australians are like you!
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 4:03:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David G,

Bravo!!
Posted by Squeers, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 5:24:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh god. Now we have the mystics, & the fairies from the bottom of the garden getting together.

Even worse, they thing they are talking sense.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 9:55:15 PM
DG,

The words you have written thus far show clearly that you are not a logical thinker, not a rational person, not a seeker of truth through reality, but you are an enthusiastic disciple of current fads which like so many before, promises fairness, equality, and lifelong happiness.

When a book of fantasy comes along you compulsively embrace it believe it, and espouse it because it challenges your unpleasant reality, and allows you to cast off the shackles of reason.

But don't worry. You're not alone. Most Greens are like you!
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 17 January 2013 9:27:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 40
  10. 41
  11. 42
  12. All