The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why the Salvos are in Nauru > Comments

Why the Salvos are in Nauru : Comments

By Paul Moulds, published 24/12/2012

Major Paul Moulds answers Bruce Haigh's criticism of the Salvation Army's part in asylum seeker detention.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Hi there KIPP...

Very interesting what you've said that apparently transpires in the UK, where their homeless folk are required to pay some sort of levy or impost in order to obtain a bed for the night ?

Also I'm not surprised in the least the small percentage of the total funds raised, that actually find their way directly to the 'coal face' of these welfare programmes.

The Salvation Army executive, would no doubt assert they need to meet many costs, charges and overheads, just to fund the administrative component, of their institution, before the balance of those funds remaining can be properly directed to the actual welfare programme.

There's little doubt, charitable institutions do have a hard time both raising funds as well as remaining solvent. And it's also true, Governments (Federal & State) do provide some fiscal relief, which hardly provides sufficient financial assuagement where they're awash with excess money in order to direct to their desired programmes.

I don't know Kipp, I'm sure on balance, the Salvo's do a good job, or at least try to do good. Myself, I have very little regard for them, for reasons I've clearly enunciated herein. However, it certainly doesn't mean I'm right, nor does it mean I'm wrong, neither ?

Cheers...Sung Wu.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 25 December 2012 8:33:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On the face of it it seems difficult to impugn the motives of the Salvos, and especially in Nauru.
I am however critical of the Salvos' mission overall and this seems like a good place to articulate it. The Salvos do effectively support government, and especially the inequities it presides over. In a wealthy country like Australia it's the government, through taxation, that should be funding minimum standards for everyone. As it is, the Salvos help to maintain the status quo by putting a decent and compassionate face on what would otherwise present as the cold indifference that largely prevails, on and offshore. Perhaps more importantly, the Salvos work within the "normal" parameters of society, thereby tacitly endorsing its essential institutions, one of which is, of course, the church.
The Salvos are not merely advocates of the State, directly contradicting Jesus' more radical mission, they are a vested interest within it, notwithstanding that the Salvos' reward is on the face of it power and influence rather than money and luxury.
No doubt the Salvos' are genuine, but their mission amounts to political advocacy, perennially insinuating their presence in society as normal and valid, and maintaining religion as a wholesale diversion from the ills of society, which ought to be addressed, rather than air-brushed.
Posted by Squeers, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 6:55:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...More rant from the anti-Christian, anti-Monarchist, pro-Gay rights radical Left posters. This would be the bottom of the barrel attack of cowardice on the “useful” institution of the Salvation Army: “Atheists United” Christmas message ugh!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 10:40:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
diver dan - You attack people but give no evidence to support your tirade.

COUNTER THIS FACT.
The Salvation Army is collecting $22 million to provide welfare and case management services on Nauru for a 6 month contract do you know how many people they have there - 28 people - THAT IS $785,714.28 per person for 6 months. JUSTIFY THAT ONE

1) To me the VOLUNTEER and the lower paid people are to be commended but they allow the higher echelon to pay them self criminal salaries.

The following figures are from American organization but trying to find info on Australian ones are very hard or impossible.

Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross... salary for year ending 06/30/03 was $651,957 plus expenses. Out of every dollar they bring in, about $0.39 goes to related charity causes
NOTE THAT WAS 2003 IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD BE NOW.

Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary, plus numerous expense benefits. About $0.51 per dollar of income goes to charity causes.

UNICEF - CEO, receives $1,200,000 per year, (plus use of a Royal Royce for his exclusive use where ever he goes, and an expense account that is rumored to be well over $150,000.) FROM DONATIONS $0.14 per dollars goes to charity work.

World Vision President (Canada) receives $300,000 base salary, (plus supplied - a home valued in the $700,000 - $800,000 dollar value range, completely furnished, completely paid all housing expenses, including taxes, water/sewer, telephone/fax, HD/high speed cable, weekly maid service and pool/yard maintenance, fully paid private schooling for his children, upscale automobile and an $55,000 personal expense account for clothing/food, with a $125,000 business expense account) Only about $0.52 of earned income per dollar is available for charity causes
Posted by Philip S, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 11:55:04 AM
Hi there DIVER DAN...

Again you hit 'n run ? You laud the exploits of the Salvation Army, is it because you 'hope' they're doing the right thing, or what ?

Anybody who seeks to disagree with you, you roll out your usual retort with language like 'rant' amongst other dreary rejoinders. Then you go about insulting other people's views and opinions ?

You're a strange little bloke aren't you ? Speaking sometimes in riddles, introducing arguement with phrases that attempt to be more allegorical, in some feeble attempt to intellectualize your arguement, by trying to project yourself as being a somewhat, cerebral sort of fellow ?

Why ? Can't you at least mount a counter arguement on the fidelity and decency of the Salvation Army, if that's what you believe ? I personally will have no truck with them at all. But at least I've tried to be praisworthy of their many thousands of volunteers, and the good works they perform. Even when I was still in the job, I called upon their assistance on many occasions over the years.

You do worry me (occasionally) DIVER DAN. Still, have a brilliant 2013, whatever you choose to do with yourself ?

Cheers...Sung Wu.
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 1:40:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Diver Dan, as a "Christian" you need to look at yourself and your personal beliefs, as your extreme negative comments towards others, must be blasphemy as to what your god expects of you.
Why you have this nasty attitude towards your fellow beings, indicate an unhappy experience in your earlier life.
Maybe you should contact the Salvos for counselling, it may be a free service, though I am sure they will want payment of some kind
Posted by Kipp, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 2:55:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy