The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Scientists find mega-oil field > Comments

Scientists find mega-oil field : Comments

By James Burgess, published 19/12/2012

Oil might be much more plentiful afterall than we thought.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Well oh dear Spindoc all of your assumptions above, as usual, are incorrect!

I have been published in a 'real' scientific journal, one that went through rigorous 'peer review', go figure. Have a look at this, I have others if this does not surfice: http://www.ocean-sci.net/8/545/2012/os-8-545-2012.html

Have you been peer review published?

you can take back all the other crap when you are ready.

Thanks

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Wednesday, 19 December 2012 3:44:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very good Geoff; how then do you explain this:

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/hadsst2sh/from:2003/trend
Posted by cohenite, Wednesday, 19 December 2012 4:06:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Cohenite,

not sure exactly, and don't have time right now to look too deeply at this but could guess that some 'cold bias' in the data or perhaps given the timeframe involved, difficulty with extrapolation between in-situ loggers/SST devices and remote sensing (satellite) differentiations that need further analysis and modelling. It might also be accurate, until further analysis is done, it is too hard to say.

It certainly poses a question, perhaps for another day. I will look at it and see what I can find out, but will need Spindoc's oh so reverent "be able to convert information into “knowledge”. This means hypothesis, testing, repeating, proof and yes, that elusive element, evidence."

Alas, no word yet from Spindoc, I think I hear the sounds of Splut Splut Splut and a helicopter going down in flames somewhere over the horizon.

Thanks Cohenite and have a great Xmas and NY.

Oh and for Spindoc, while you are pushing out the old education material I apologise for the bad spelling earlier it should have been suffice, not surfice, a simple typo.

Cheers

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Wednesday, 19 December 2012 4:26:23 PM
Yes, and best of the season to you too Geoff.

The reason why the general SH SST are decreasing since 2003 [when ARGO was introduced] while there are regional 'hotspots' is acknowledged by CRU here:

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/

A generally cooling trend in SST is contradictory to AGW; I note you don't make any attributions in your abstract but it should be noted that the spike in SST around mid 2010 to 2011 was general to the SH:

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/hadsst2sh/from:2003/trend/plot/hadsst2sh/from:2003/mean:12

And the globe:

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/hadsst2gl/from:2003/trend/plot/hadsst2sh/from:2003/mean:12

And followed a rapid cooling prior to the spike.

I would investigate upwelling data which is known to accompany PDO shifts and which probably explains the climate shift in 1976.
Posted by cohenite, Wednesday, 19 December 2012 5:16:43 PM
Hi Geoff,

Did I just hear a splutter….”not sure exactly”… Cough……”don't have time right now to look too deeply”….cough, cough……” It certainly poses a question, perhaps for another day”…Splut, splut, splut…….”until further analysis is done”…phut, phut.... “it is too hard to say”…..clankety-clank….”I will look at it and see what I can find out”…crunch, crunch….”difficulty with extrapolation”……..puff, puff puff…….”It might also be accurate”……wheee……”that elusive element, evidence”.

I just love the smell of a spiral exit from a debate and cohenite reducing you to “gibberish”.

What is it they say about froth and bubble? Is that your best shot?
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 19 December 2012 5:31:05 PM
'The 2011 heat wave event also provided an insight
into conditions that may become more prevalent in Cockburn
Sound, and elsewhere, if short-term warming events become
more frequent and extreme, as predicted.'

Geoff some of those short term extreme weather events have also included blizzards, record low temps and cooling periods. Do you think they might also be part of those more frequent and extreme event predictions to which you refer and how will they impact on your peer reviewed work?

Do you think relying on historical records that only extend back to the early 2000's wise?
Posted by imajulianutter, Wednesday, 19 December 2012 7:34:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy