The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Julia Gillard's collapse in authority > Comments

Julia Gillard's collapse in authority : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 13/12/2012

The claim this week by Labor MP Michael Danby that Minister for Foreign Affairs Bob Carr undermined Prime Minister Julia Gillard's authority on a crucial United Nations vote has serious implications.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
This article is so wrong on a number of levels. It is constitutionally inept. The PM is only primus inter pares. Unless of course one wants a PM whose own views are absolutely enforceable even when they are manifestly wrong. One can think of several views held by Tony Abbott that one sincerely hopes the caucus will roll him on.

Secondly, Ms Bishop persists in clinging to the position that Australia's craven abstention was wrong: that we should have joined the 9 who were overwhelmingly out of step with world opinion and voted against the resolution.

Thirdly, she persists in the bizarre claim that this vote impedes the so-called "peace process". There is no peace process worthy of the name. Israel has no intention of entering meaningful negotiations for a settlement, as has been obvious even to blind freddy for at least since the 1967 war.

The fact that immediately after the vote Netanyahu announced the annexation of yet more Palestinian territory for Jewish settlers, thereby effectively killing any possibility of a viable Palestinian state, tells one more about real Israeli intentions than meaningless blather about the "peace process".

Ms Bishop's appalling ignorance on foreign affairs makes one tremble at the prospect that she will actually get her hands on the levers of the foreign affairs portfolio.
Posted by James O'Neill, Thursday, 13 December 2012 10:38:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Julie Bishop continues the strategy laid down by Abbott, attack the individual using anything to destroy their character. It back fired when they applied it to Kevin Rudd. They learned nothing. They have used the parliament through out the year applying the strategy, bringing the House to an altime low. It has damaged Abbott as the polls show causing him to pass the baton to a willing Bishop.

The latest fiasco of the strategy, like the Gretch one, has back fired. But a determined Bishop continues the strategy convinced it will win them the next election. A future parliament led by the macho Abbott strategy is fearfull to contemplate
Posted by Gun Boat, Thursday, 13 December 2012 12:38:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a long term Coalition supporter I'm adding my voice to those who have criticed the article.

The whole strategy of attack without offering a better option has gotten very old and tired. The outcome of the court case yesterday does not help (shades of Utegate ). The dismaying performance of the new Qld government who had a chance to turn things around and chose more of the same (more jobs for family and mates, more broken committments after getting into office, more ministers who don't understand the basics of personal accountability etc ).

I get that announcing policy well ahead of the election is very risky, the government has control of treasury and the use of the taxpayers resources to run a fear campaign against your proposals but what you are doing now is turning all but the most welded on away from you.

If you don't want to risk the economic traps of treasury costings of you policies perhapsmyou could start by telling what legislative steps to intend to take to provide a more honest and accountable government.

If you are stuck for ideas here is a couple of starters
-The removal of cabinet secrecy except where it's determined by a non-partisan oversight that the secrecy is in the national interest rather than party political interests.
-Legislation which makes political parties and their representatives accountable for their promises and committments in a meaningful manner.
-A meaningfull way of stopping whoever is in government using that to provide affirmative action for family members, mates and long term party hacks.

TBC
R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 13 December 2012 1:09:50 PM
Part 2
You could also take a bigger risk and do some creative thinking about how to address some of the government interventions into peoples lives which all to often are a massively destructive force. On a personal note I'd really like to see the Austalian government do the whole family law, child support thing in a way that is far less destructive of those caught up in it?

Can we deal with the issue of refugees in a way that does not encourage a flood yet creates a far healthier start to Australian life for those who do come and who are accepted? Mistreatment upon arrival is hardly a great way to build good members of the community. There are raft of issues which an opposition could consider doing far better than recent governments have done.

The way you are going you could just loose what was looking like an unloosable election. I want my next vote to mean something, not just the defeat of Labor but the installation of a government I can be proud to have voted for. At this stage I'm not optimistic.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 13 December 2012 1:09:56 PM
Where is your authority Julie? Been deputy a number of times, done and said not one thing of interest.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Thursday, 13 December 2012 1:12:18 PM
Champion comments RObert

What you wrote reflects the feelings many people I have spoken with on Australian politics regardless of which party one normally supports. There is a lack of choice and instead of the major parties lamenting minority government they should start asking why.

Can I heartily support your calls for greater transparency, an end to needless secrecy in governing and a halt to growing intrusions into private lives.

Sadly no-one in power is listening they are more concerned about winning the next election so it will be more mindless middle class welfare no doubt and important issues will be ignored.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 13 December 2012 1:50:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy