The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Red-Green politics retrograde on prostitution > Comments

Red-Green politics retrograde on prostitution : Comments

By Matthew Holloway, published 21/11/2012

The Australian Left needs to examine the broader human rights issues at play in the prostitution debate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Candide,
Most prostitutes are freelancers, mums, wives, students,normal women in other words who can tolerate the work without going mental or turning to drugs, in my experience the ones who are seriously exploited are treated so because, as you say they are at a disadvantage for some reason, either addicted, mentally ill or damaged in some other way, the type of woman who is exploited by everyone. Look at the "personal services" column in your local paper, before he passed on an elderly acquaintance of mine used to have a "date" once or twice a month with a nice young woman he found in that very section of the Leader, are we going to go after Newscorp as well for profiting from the sex industry?
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Thursday, 22 November 2012 8:20:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have always found it interesting that in the drug trade it is the "poor addicted users" who are considered the victims, & the bleeding hearts cry all over them, regardless of the criminal things they do others, to find the money required.

The suppliers are the bad ones, pushing their evil trade, & exploiting their addicted victims need.

In the sex trade, somehow the feminazis have managed to turn this around. The "poor addicted users", the men are the bad ones, who do nothing but pay handsomely for the offered service.

The suppliers the women pushing their evil trade, exploiting their victims need, have some how become the victims.

What utter twaddle.

One of the girls at uni with my daughter told her she had become a call girl on the side. She reckoned she got sick of putting out for a $40 dollar meal, expected by every bloke she went out with. Now she only put out for $500 plus a $75 meal, & quite often the sex was better.

Wouldn't it be lovely if one half would let the other half live their lives as they bleedingly please?
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 22 November 2012 10:32:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Reply to: Posted by Mieke D, Wednesday, 21 November 2012 4:38:35 PM

We spent 10 months in Camboida recently, I wouldn't believe most of the research you read, i't's mostly a bunch of twaddle to justify well funded NGO's getting more money to continue their existence. The worst culprit was Aus Aid themselves, I am sure they do some good, it just wasn't evident.

We talked to a few girls from a "Chicken Farm" the poorest of the poor prostitutes, the liked being their. It sure as hell beat the 12 hour days of back breaking work in the rice fields, or so they told us. We spoke to one girl who had been "interviewed" by and NGO, they paid her money, she told them what her friend said they wanted to here, so they would come back and give them more money.

I saw the author is concerned about "social justice", and ephemeral term if I ever heard one and working with a socially backwards organisation like the "Catholics" (how many Women priests are there exactly ? & no condoms so HIV is rife in developing Worlds because of their lunacy ! and they want to "preach" about "womens" issues ?. I suspect ensconced in Melbourne he has has little understanding of it at all. Go live with theses people for six months or so, make friends with them. Concentrate on education and health, the rest is mostly nonsense.

"Social justice" IS nonsensical when they barely have enough money to put food in their month or can't afford medical care for the plethora of ailments endemic in developing nations.
Posted by Valley Guy, Sunday, 25 November 2012 7:59:51 PM
Hello Matthew,
Thanks for a great piece. I translated it in French as this libertarian drift of some alleged progressives is confusing a lot of folks here in French Canada. The text is up on my FB page at https://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note_id=10152310800320595
Martin Dufresne
Posted by Let's talk, Monday, 26 November 2012 1:49:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy