The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Renewable Revolution > Comments

The Renewable Revolution : Comments

By Sophie Love, published 20/11/2012

Global citizens are recognising that reliance on fossil fuels is destructive.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Atman
In 2010-2011 the Australian Taxpayers subsidised Fossil Fuels to the tune of $12.73 billion, Renewables received $1.7 billion.
Lets talk about whats happening in Australia, not whats happening in the US.
A report by Chris Reidy in 2007 suggests that subsidies actually create profits for large coal fired power generators.
Posted by ARECA, Wednesday, 21 November 2012 11:16:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Renewables do work
I joined the Renewable Industry over 10years ago when I wanted to put solar on a property I had just bought and didn't want to pay the ridiculous amount of money to install Grid Power.

Over the years I have seen an incredible amount of change in the solar industry, back then systems were expensive and yes the government incentives that were provided helped this fledgling industry to become what it is today.
A lot of people complain about the amount of money the Governments are pouring into renewables and are asking why they should be still getting these incentives. I am happy that the industry is very close to the point where it can stand on its own 2 feet without any Government assistance, a far cry from the coal industry who started getting subsidies over 100 years ago and is still getting them (either that industry is and never has been sustainable or there are a few getting extremely rich off the Government handouts)

You here people talking about Baseload power and that renewables can not supply this, I beg to differ. Can they supply baselaod solar in the capacity needed to replace a coal fired power station with a single baseload solar power station, not yet, but what we are seeing and I installed my fist one over 12 months ago is Household baseload solar power. Battery systems being installed in individual houses utilising the solar power during the day to run the house and charge the batteries and using the stored battery power during the evening and night time. If the Fossil Fuel industry has been scared by the uptake of Grid Connected Solar power, they should be really scared of Household Baseload Solar power being installed.
Posted by ARECA, Wednesday, 21 November 2012 11:17:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder about this loose talk about "subsidies" for the fossil fuel industry. There are compelling counterarguments. For example:

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/43376.html
Posted by Herbert Stencil, Thursday, 22 November 2012 4:39:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ARECA

I'd like to know where you get you information from? The Carbon Tax is the greatest alternative energy revenue stream ever created. Approx 5 billion per year) and consumers have no choice but pay it- and that's just the start.
Posted by Atman, Friday, 23 November 2012 1:07:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"In 2010-2011 the Australian Taxpayers subsidised Fossil Fuels to the tune of $12.73 billion, Renewables received $1.7 billion."

That's a lie; the myth of fossil fuel subsidies is dealt with here:

http://rwdb.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/australian-conservation-foundations.html

Basically the so-called subsidies to fossils are the usual business tax deductions given to all businesses. The issues of externalities such as increased health risks from fossils is something which does need looking at but the biggest alleged externality, AGW, is also a lie.

Subsidies to renewables are beyond the pale and consist of direct financial support from the government through the CEFC and ARENA which will give renewables over $13billion by 2015.

Then there is the CO2 tax which goes hand in hand with renewables and has doubled electricity prices for a total cost to the community of many more $billions.

But the worse thing is, despite ARECA's testimonial, is that green energy DOES NOT WORK for base load; in Australia the sources of electricity are Black Coal 52%, Brown Coal 23%. Natural Gas 15% for a total CO2 emitting sources of 90%. Hydro is 5%, Wind is 2% and Other is 3% made up mostly of Bagasse burning power plants at sugar refineries, and Solar comes into this other area, but is less than one tenth of one percent.

That's after years of developement and money; in addition major solar plants like Chinchilla and Moree, despite huge government support are not proceeding.

What ARECA is describing is a system where certain individuals, essentially survivalists, go off grid using equipment from the real world and then claim the rest of us can do the same; at best this is hypocrisy, otherwise dangerous arrogance.
Posted by cohenite, Friday, 23 November 2012 4:38:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy