The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Somalia’s taboo-breaking first woman foreign minister > Comments

Somalia’s taboo-breaking first woman foreign minister : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 12/11/2012

Fawzia Yusuf Haji Adam has triumphed in Somalia despite gender and tradition.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Wonderful news ! One step on the painful road to that defective and amazing institution, democracy.

I thought I'd better get in quick, before the flood of feminists' congratulations.

Best wishes to all women, and all democrats,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 12 November 2012 8:40:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An inspiring lady.

I am reminded of that other inspirational Somalian woman, Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

The author says this:

"Neither Somaliland nor Puntland or any other of the mushrooming foreign created tribal enclaves will be able to stand independently alone without bending their destiny to the wishes and dictates of foreign countries whose desire is to kill the old dream of greater Somalia by carving Somalia itself into insignificant and feuding mini-states."

Change within tribalised African states, particularly islamic ones, must come from within and must involve a rejection of tribalism and religious fundamentalism which oppresses women and people generally. That change must not be distracted by blaming outside interests notably the West, a blemish on an otherwise good article.
Posted by cohenite, Monday, 12 November 2012 9:14:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy