The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fundamentalism versus education - a word-wide women's struggle > Comments

Fundamentalism versus education - a word-wide women's struggle : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 8/11/2012

In the Taliban's eyes, Malala Yousufzai is 'fair game', because she has reached puberty. Accordingly, marriage is her sole purpose and she can have no life outside the home.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
A very interesting account of a problem that should not exist in the 21st century. No doubt many people are doing what they can to try to change the attitudes and ignorance of those that carry out such violence and oppression against women.
With the size of the population of Northern America, and the number of firearms accessible to just about anyone, it is inevitable that unbalanced people will carry out murderous attacks at times. This is a very difficult problem to begin to address.

Perhaps the cases like Malala's attempted murder by the Taliban is the area where something can be done. The question is, just how much tacit support exists for such actions? Pressure must come from countries which claim to be civilized to expose those who have no regard for human rights and make a mockery of their "religion".
Posted by Noelreg, Thursday, 8 November 2012 8:08:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am a fundamentalist ( I believe in the death and resurection of Christ) and yet my wife earns more money that me, my daughter has 2 degrees and first class honours and is now on the public trough. In my 28 years of fundamentalism the only violence against woman I have witnessed is in the indigeneous community and among secularist. I doubt whether even by Jocelyne's standard she would call my wife or daughter uneducated.
Posted by runner, Friday, 9 November 2012 9:25:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Another grotesque attempt to establish an equivalence between Western society and islam.

No doubt there are deranged individuals in the West who hate women and act on their derangement; and no doubt Western society has a regrettable and absurd past of disenfranchising women.

But the author ignores the emancipation of women in the West compared with the complete lack of emancipation in islam.

The author also ignores the role of women in islam in suppressing other women, a syndrone recognised in Summer's otherwise trite book, God's Police and Damned Whores.

Why is it that progress has occurred in the West but islam has intensified its oppression of women? And why is it that the West is so accommodating to islam and does not confront its unrelenting systemic brutalising of women?

For the same reason this author ignores it I guess.
Posted by cohenite, Friday, 9 November 2012 10:25:46 PM
So this is why we will lose...

Masses of people, squeezed into poor regions of north Africa and across Asia are alreay saying "it's not fair, I have six sons and only one farm for them to inherit... Like us, their governments are saying We can't afford more roads and schools and hospitals... but for them, they need to tripple the numbers of roads schools and hospitals every 25 years...

There are fewer and fewer westerners every year, and many many more Muslims...

Billions of Muslims attacking millions of westerners. A war of slaughter and monumental death. Our declining wealth against their massive numbers and religous vigour.

This is why our children are going to be force to fight the most horrific wars of slaughter and attrition.

Islam is an anti-feminist religion... the western world is now controlled by feminist 'religion'. They are producing children - in may countries the AVERAGE is 8 children per women.

Across Europe the average is 1.2 children for every two adults. Millions of wonderful, intelligent professional women in the western world are going to due childless because they can't get husbands. Many professional men are too rational and are hence too afraid to become fathers, because they know what the divorce court, the feminist court does to fathers and to their children.

We are dying out..
Posted by partTimeParent, Wednesday, 14 November 2012 9:55:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy