The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Wind power running out of puff > Comments

Wind power running out of puff : Comments

By Mark S. Lawson, published 31/10/2012

As with almost everything else in this business of saving carbon, the details of building green energy projects are proving far more complex than anyone first imagined.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
I'm sure the loony warmists have something 579. It is probably a new virus.

What ever it is, you can be sure one of the symptoms will be hand in pocket syndrome.

Yep I can feel their hands in my pocket right now.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 4 November 2012 11:19:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Butch Carbon storage, the ocean is saturated, and giving up its stores due to rising temperature. So are we going to grow trees on farm land.
You know what sort of bramble grows in outback regions, so let us in on the storage systems you are proposing.
Your nuclear generator in the outback, is wishful thinking, to far to push power down the line for a start. Power is like a water pipe it gets slower the further you go. We rely on 50 hz not 10.5 hz.
Instead of coming up with wild ideas, tell us some situations of how your ideas might work.
Posted by 579, Sunday, 4 November 2012 12:21:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

" Power is like a water pipe it gets slower the further you go. We rely on 50 hz not 10.5 hz."

What a pile of clap trap. There would be a voltage drop not frequency drop. That would be physically impossible. That's why they have high Voltage transmission, and why much of NSW is supplied from the La trobe valley.

The only obstacle to clean nuclear power is the idiotic policies and outright BS peddled by the greens.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 4 November 2012 1:48:51 PM
I knew it was one way or the other. We get snowey power in the north and central vic.
Nuclear power will not happen this century, if ever. Hardly necessary.
Posted by 579, Sunday, 4 November 2012 2:25:20 PM
Australian society as a whole is pathetically and illogically frightened of all things nuclear. Many countries have more sense. UK is going ahead with new plants (a move supported by both the Conservative government and the Labour opposition.) China has 16 reactors at present and is building 26 more. It is beginning to push forward with the development of liquid salt thorium reactors, a development that promises power for a gigantic period of time. An Indian spokesman has recently stated that nuclear energy is essential for India to become energy independent.The country is talking 20000MW by 2020.
And Australia? We wet ourselves with fear of an almost medieval sort - belief not fact. We put nice little things on the roof and feel righteous;and where do the things on the roof come from? China!
Seems to me there are really few choices: (1)use carbon/hydrocarbon based fuel for as long as possible (using modern high efficiency gas equipment), (2)Nuclear, U based at first and Thorium as things develop,(3)magic which is unreliable as well as costly. It is easy talk (sustainable, alternative) in an area that gets few if any power outages. One develops a very different attitude when the power is cut for weeks on end after a cyclone. Believe me, no light, no fans and the temperature 32C with high humidity concentrates the mind.
What is needed is a campaign of education about radiation. Perhaps then, in 20 years or so Oz might realise that they can been fed on BS for a generation. If radiation levels allowed were raised to more sensible levels the price of nuclear sourced energy would fall dramatically. It will not happen. Pitiful.
Posted by eyejaw, Sunday, 4 November 2012 2:49:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy