The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don't feed the trolls > Comments

Don't feed the trolls : Comments

By Bruce Arnold, published 22/10/2012

In a liberal democratic state we need to cope with things that are unpleasant.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Very well said! I value my right to be offended, hurt, appalled and outraged. There is no 'new' phenomenon here, just humans being human. The need to teach self reliance and resilience to our children is as important now, here, as it ever was.

If I do not like or agree with Mr Jones or Mr Bolt, I turn the radio off. If I don't like posts by 'trolls' I don't read them.

It was through expressing 'that which offends' that allowed M. L. King, E. Pankhurst, W. Wilberforce etc etc to change societies for the better. I take now the opportunity to tell the Right Honerable communications minister, Mr. Smith to "bugger orf".
Posted by Prompete, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 8:09:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dr Arnold, I agree with you to a large extent. I do not agree with the previous poster. If you want to be 'offended' and value the right to be offended, then that is fine for you.

I agree with teaching people resilance when dealing with these trolls. However, do not underestimate the power their comments have to damage life and reputation. Also do not think this is limited to children and young adults. It may be easier for an adult to brush it off, but trolls can be powerful in some circumstances and I have seen online things spill offline with not so good outcomes.

I don't see the need to interfere by making laws to stifle speech but to just dismiss insults as harmless is a bury the head in the sand. Not everyone has a thick skin. Some laws to redress trolling should be there but they should be a choice to use but nevertheless they should exist. No, the police do not have to be everywhere, self-esteem to know these people are foolish and unimportant, and ignoring, is the best option, but some form of law to get them is still, in my view, necessary. What it would be without imposing it on social media and websites I am not sure, but balance is needed here. It's like the rape victim mentality in courts - it is never the person who committed the act but the silly victim. That needs to change in regards to trolls because even when not fed some of them are nasty and relentless and you have the right to be on a site.
Posted by Big M, Saturday, 27 October 2012 3:32:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy