The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > World Food Day > Comments

World Food Day : Comments

By Tim Andrews, published 16/10/2012

Green activists are making the world hungrier by pushing policies restricting the supply of affordable food.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Ahh its me old mate Pericles, back for another round of Ludwig rib-poking!

Dear oh dear, the same old criticism! Haven’t we been over this point enough times for you over the last seven years on OLO??

Alright, I’ll say to you what I’ve said a godzillion times before:

You know that your accusation of me being single-issue on population is absolutely false. You know that I keep mentioning it because it is the elephant in the living room that just gets left out of so many discussions in which it is an enormously important factor.

And I’m not the only one on this forum who does this by any means, eh Yabby.

Tim Andrews’ article is just another one on the very long list of population-blind writings of this sort.

Sorry Pericles but you are just so wrong to say:

< Diverting this discussion into the ambit of your population-control hobby-horse is not helpful >.

Now, I share your concern and desire to know more about the apparent adverse impact of Greenpeace's apparent attack on food production.

I have plenty of criticism for Greenpeace, The Greens, The Australian Conservation Foundation and other elements of the so-called green movement, so I don't know whether they are on the right track here or not.

So if you want to do something useful to contribute to this discussion, how about doing a bit of web-surfing on this Greenpeace thing.

Meanwhile, I’ve got some quality beach-bumming to do here in the wonderful north Queensland sun. Cheers.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:42:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We do need to keep mentioning population growth because it is such a no-go area in some quarters.

On the food front, perhaps we should try to seriously address food wastage in developed countries. According to an SMH article last year, one quarter of the food we waste could meet the food shortfall in the third world. As ever, redistribution is a problem.

http://www.smh.com.au/money/saving/saving-money-can-help-save-others-20111029-1mp5c.html
Posted by Candide, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:50:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gee another right wing think tank article saying endless growth is possible. Maybe OLO could put some talking points up on the leffhand side of the page, so we can check them off whenever we get an article like this.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 12:19:47 PM
Must be "get Luddy day" so here I come too mate.

A case study on government locking up farm land.

A mate has a broad acre farm out a bit past Dalby. This is in the original "treeless plane" country They have built it up from 640 to 1600 acres over 75 years.
They added another 640 acres a couple of years back. This was a farm belonging to an old bloke who was injured 30 years before, & could no longer farm, but continued to live on the property. They bought it from his estate.

About 300 acres, fallow when he stopped working it, had gone through woody weeds to thick regrowth type woodland. Remember this was treeless grassland when settled, but they were refused permission to clear this "virgin forest" when they wanted to put it back to work.

It took over 2 years & cost a fortune to get the approval to return it to production. And people wonder why most farmers sons won't take on the family farm.

Candide, most of the food wastage is in the third world. A very high percentage of their food storage is so poor that much food is eaten or rendered unfit for consumption by various pests & fungal growth problems
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 12:41:17 PM
While we continue to endlessly talk about these topics we are wasting our time and future generation`s survival if we do not do something about POPULATION! ! ! !
Go Ludwig.
I`m on your side.
SEVEN billion and counting at the rate of how many millions more each year?
Posted by ateday, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 12:55:07 PM
A good article and nice to see Ludwig pop up again.

Below is current pop figures from the UN by fertility. It's grim alright but not because we're chockas - population is going the other way.

http://esa.un.org/wpp/Analytical-Figures/htm/fig_10.htm

Never let it be said I interfered with a bogus fear campaign. Even so, Rhosty is spot on re fish stocks.
Posted by Cheryl, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 1:30:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy