The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Other education systems come before the Finnish > Comments

Other education systems come before the Finnish : Comments

By Kevin Donnelly, published 5/10/2012

Rather than looking abroad, the answer to Australia's education problems may be found at home.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
What mentality is that, individual?
Posted by Otokonoko, Friday, 5 October 2012 8:16:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Run hampster, run.
Posted by cj, Friday, 5 October 2012 10:03:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What mentality is that, individual?
Otokonoko,
That one !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 6 October 2012 8:47:02 AM
If we want to improve educational outcomes, rather than add jobs for teachers & education "experts", it really is quite simple.

All we have to do is study, or simply reintroduce the curriculum, techniques & class sizes that applied in Oz 50 years ago.

My kids [& most of their compatriots], who had every chance [plus some] that I & my compatriots had, have similar IQs & aptitudes, & had much more help at home, & in out of school coaching, came out of school with an much less knowledge than we did. Two achieved OP3 & 4, so were considered high achievers.

I am still being surprised that my daughter, who did the highest levels of math, physics & chemistry, then a science/education BSc still today does not have a knowledge of much that we had when we left high school.

Unfortunately it would still take 30 years or so to fill the schools with teachers as well educated as ours were.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 6 October 2012 11:30:10 AM
Hasbeen's post highlights the reality of the standard of education these days. I have youngish people around me who can not spell, can't add up, get confused with left-hand vs right hand threaded bolts, metric vs imperial etc. Only a few days ago I asked a chap to bring me an 8 mm spanner, he brought an 18 mm despite having seen the 8 mm bolt to be undone.
Now these are young people who have had the privilege of Govt college education all paid for & even pocket money provided.
Their teachers have mostly retired on extremely handsome Superannuation & this is what we get for it ?
I recall asking one of those teachers twenty five years ago about the cost & point of this education & I was ridiculed of not having any foresight. Yeah right !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 6 October 2012 7:28:09 PM
individual, I think your most recent post answers my question much more clearly than your actual response to that question - and I agree.

The problem, I think, is that those who 'run with the pack' in our education system - those who ascend to policymaking positions - are unwilling to ask the tough questions, and dismiss those tough questions when they arise.

I think the central question we should be asking when reviewing our education system (which certainly needs considerable review) is 'why do we put our kids through thirteen years of schooling?'

What do we want our education system to achieve? What is the end product we wish to produce? Self-reliant citizens? Compassionate citizens? Effective employees? Knowledgeable people? People prepared for further study? All of these? None of these?

The next question we need to ask is 'how do we achieve these outcomes?'

And we need to be willing to make BIG changes - even a complete overhaul - if necessary. In my opinion, the best education system is not the one that ranks in the Top 5 in PISA or TIMSS or another comparative study. It is the one that best achieves its purpose and serves its community appropriately. If that system happens to score highly on those tests, then that's a nice pat on the back. If not, then those tests are assessing things that are irrelevant to our system.

It seems to me that our government is taking the wrong path. It is seeking to use education as a status symbol rather than a public service. We're going to pour a lot of money into that status symbol and still have graduates who can't distinguish 8mm from 18mm.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 6 October 2012 7:54:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy