The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Same-sex marriage: ending discrimination? > Comments

Same-sex marriage: ending discrimination? : Comments

By Bernard Toutounji, published 20/9/2012

In the 21st century it would be better to be accused of anything rather than be found to be discriminatory.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
It gets better, as the quote goes... for society at large as well as for individuals.
Posted by LUDVIK, Wednesday, 26 September 2012 5:38:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear mykah,

Don't look now but your list of definitions of marriage is incomplete. You forgot some very important ones such as for blacks. Obviously, the one you indicate for "traditional marriage advocates" only applies to normal white people.

You also forgot to provide a definition for people with a serious physical handicap. Even mentally retarded people deserve to have one. Then there are all those people who have contracted aids. It can't be the same for them as for normal white people.

What about sterile couples? And what about couples of which at least one member is serving out a sentence of life imprisonment? They sometimes want to get married too. Then you have all those illegal migrants who want to get married just to be able to stay in the country and obtain Australian nationality the same as you and me. Do you think that is fair? They definitely need a special definition.

I don't want to upset you or anything but I am sure that if you stop and think about it you will find that you have missed quite a few more.

The whole idea of Mr. Bernard Toutounji's article is about "ending discrimination" as indicated in the title. The sub-title goes even further: "In the 21st century it would be better to be accused of anything rather than be found to be discriminatory".

It's a pity to shoot your arguments in the foot by failing to provide a proper definition for all these special categories that rightly deserve one. In doing so you leave yourself open to the accusation of wrongful discrimination.

That would defeat your purpose and I am sure it was not your intention. I hope the above-mentioned forgotten categories will be of assistance.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Thursday, 27 September 2012 2:03:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy