The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why are we deafened by the silence? > Comments

Why are we deafened by the silence? : Comments

By Greg Donnelly, published 19/9/2012

What implications will same-sex marriage have on the education of our children?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
greg's article seems to point out the major difference between lapsed and practising catholics. i hope my mob has a bit more compassion.
Posted by peter mills, Thursday, 20 September 2012 12:22:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The whole deal about same sex marriage is a non-sequiter. The law already recognises that two people who live together and share the same bed have the same rights as those who are legally married. They are not discriminated against by the state. It is only the various churches who discriminate, and as time passes, even the Catholic church will see the error of its ways, in much the same way as it no longer forgives its priests for their sexual transgressions against their altar boys. In my youth, unmarried people who shared their bed on a permanent basis were regarded as "living in sin", but in general this attitude no longer prevails. It just takes time for the church to catch up with the world. Evolution is a slow continuing process.
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 20 September 2012 11:01:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry I got off topic a bit.
The teaching in the schools is already proceeding down the path about which the author complains. The passing of the proposed changes to the Marriage Act will have absolutely no effect on that.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 20 September 2012 11:05:12 AM
If i were a labor supporter i would hope that my representatives would be able to mount a more coherent argument than this. an argument that would be based upon logic and which would be free of prejudice and hypocrisy.
Posted by shal, Friday, 21 September 2012 1:01:54 PM
In the comments above, some have denigrated the author as prejudiced, extremist, uncompassionate and judgemental. Others have argued that it will be a good thing to have "non-judgemental teaching about gay-marriage" in schools. None have argued against the author's central thesis.

As has happened overseas, and as Greg as argued, if the Marriage Act is changed to include homosexual marriage then there will be a continuing push to "non-discrimination" in all teaching about marriage, whether that teaching be in government or non-government schools or in other institutions. This would appear to be an undeniable fact. That being given, what are the consequences for freedom of conscience and freedom of religion?

Let's have a constructive conversation on this very pertinent question.
Posted by mykah, Monday, 24 September 2012 10:56:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy