The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Greg Hunt’s carbon illusion > Comments

Greg Hunt’s carbon illusion : Comments

By Ben Rose, published 18/9/2012

The Liberals' Direct Action plan is constructed on the premise of bogus soil carbon offsets.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Tombee and runner

Although it is probably true that the Liberal offsets program won't actually reduce carbon, it is in fact difficult to point to any program at all that does reduce carbon apart from simple attempts to reduce outputs.

The European ETS has proved ineffectual to date, there are real questions about whether the growing wind networks in Europe actually save carbon - at least it is possible to make a case that they don't - and the Kyoto Clean Development Mechanism offsets are a joke. Other ETS schemes are now being set up I hear you say? Nope. These again are test programs at best where so many free permits have been issued that they are ineffectual.

Although, as I said, the author is probably right in his analysis as far as I know, he should bring his analytical skills to bear on the obsessions of the green movement. He won't like the results.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 11:02:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Better tell Megan Clarke the Head of the CSIRO. She owns a carbon sequestration company (no conflict of interest though ! lol)
http://www.australianclimatemadness.com/2011/10/csiro-boss-is-director-of-carbon-sequestration-company/

How does the author reconcile that the head of the most authoritative science organisation in the country disagrees with him?
Posted by Atman, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 12:03:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author of the article concludes:

"Deniers of global warming don’t care if climate policy is ineffectual"

To which the reasonable reply is that alarmists write absurd articles like his.
Posted by cohenite, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 12:35:42 PM
I have a visions of some one taking dollars out of my pocket and putting it straight into theirs.

So the vast majority of us will be poorer, and a very select few will be just that little more wealthier.
Posted by JamesH, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 4:08:56 PM
"But there is time to raise awareness of this attempted swindle before the next election."

Julia Gillard effected the swindle of the century at the last election when she promised that there would be no carbon dioxide tax under her government.
Posted by Raycom, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 11:39:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy