The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Agriculture in Australia's north – now that's a plan > Comments

Agriculture in Australia's north – now that's a plan : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 14/9/2012

The National Food Plan dismisses the opportunity for agriculture in our north due to anti-development bigotry and discredited climate change advice.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
David. a good post that gets to the 'nub' of the issue.

when you state "due to anti-development bigotry and discredited climate change advice" I could not agree more.

It is my understanding that the report was commissioned and, following a change of government, new guidelines were issued that specifically instructed the authors NOT to consider dams and irrigation, Well, the results would inevitably be a report that is really quite worthless.

Once again I read calls for there to be a cessation from increased demand due to population increases, calls for 'population' control etc. and, once again no proposing a mechanism for achieving said population control. The Chinese solution perhaps?

The only mechanism I have seen for Effective population control is both the Chinese solution and wealth generation.

Hot to facilitate wealth generation? cheap plentifully food and cheap plentiful energy.

Can anyone here recommend a 'third way'?
Posted by Prompete, Friday, 14 September 2012 6:14:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So, because our economy doesn't allow us to have children some experts suggest we should import more people. what morons !
Get rid of the morons in the Public Service who work like mad to keep on damaging our economy & we'll be able to have our own children, thank you very much.
We can grow sufficient food for ourselves without ruining the North Of Australia as well.
Posted by individual, Friday, 14 September 2012 8:06:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhrosty, up until now I haven’t really had any major issue with your posts. But suddenly, you seemed to have flipped out. Or perhaps you’ve always been that way!

<< Sea grass absorbs three times the carbon of all the forest of the world! A fact that is routinely ignored by tree hugging eco-fascists? >>

What??

Both seagrass beds and forests are carbon-neutral! They are only carbon absorbers if you kill off a seagrass bed or clear a forest and then let it regrow, and only take into account the carbon absorbed in the recovery phase!

What’s this about eco-fascists?

Well, I will no longer think of you as a balanced or reasonable commentator. The use of such terminology achieves just one thing – to destroy the credibility of the user!

Ok, so you advocate lots of small dams, etc. But to what end?

If we are going to just blunder forth with rapid population growth, what would it achieve?

It might help with food provision and export income a little bit, for a while. But it would also just help facilitate this totally antisustainable and future-destroying population growth.

Now if the sort of things you advocate were done within a sustainability regime, with a stable population, then yes, they might have some merit.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 14 September 2012 8:22:59 PM
<< The only mechanism I have seen for Effective population control is both the Chinese solution and wealth generation >>

Gee Prompete, you haven’t thought about this very much have you.

All we need to do in Australia is to get our immigration down to net zero. That’s it. Oh and getting rid of the baby bonus bribe would help as well.

Then our natural fertility rate would lead us to a stable population, after a couple of decades, with a slow and steadily decreasing rate of growth up until then.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 14 September 2012 8:31:33 PM
Ludwig. The population problem is not in Australia. We have a surplus of food here, I refer to those decrying overpopulation of the planet. Perhaps we could alleviate some of the overpopulation of all those third world countries by opening our borders here?
Posted by Prompete, Friday, 14 September 2012 9:23:18 PM
Everybody who thinks that we live on a finite planet put up their hand.

Now take that hand and hit yourself hard in the back of the head.

Now go outside and look up. See that bright, burny, looking thing? Is that part of our planet? No. Does it provide energy to the planet and all living things? Yes. Good glad we have cleared that up. Now no more of this finite planet BS, OK?

Now if you want to discuss the finite sun, I'm all ears.
Posted by Stezza, Friday, 14 September 2012 10:54:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy