The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lack of opportunity leads to poverty on Indigenous lands > Comments

Lack of opportunity leads to poverty on Indigenous lands : Comments

By Sara Hudson, published 4/9/2012

The situation is a farce. Land councils happily lease land to mining companies for commercial operations but won’t lease land to residents.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Sara, I wonder if you know where the not inconsiderable amount of money, paid to the NLC from mining companies for the lease of their land, goes to.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 11:37:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ok, if you offer opportunities to someone until you're blue & green in the face & they don't take the opportunities then it is the recipient's fault, not the one who offers !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 8:57:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm sorry to sound negative Sara, but I think we need to address the education problems suffered by many Aboriginal people before giving them the 'right' to borrow money off the equity of their traditional land holdings.
If they don't have a good education leading to regular employment, then how are they to make mortgage payments?
If these payments are paid by centrelink, then they are no better off really are they?
They are still reliant on government handouts.

I have worked in a community owned by Aboriginal people who had their young men trained as tradesmen to build their own homes with government grants.
Once they were completed and they had a community of several streets of their own homes, several of the residents trashed their homes and stole from other homes.
By a year later, most homes were condemned.

They need education and employment first.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 11:46:39 PM
address the education problems suffered...
Suseonline,
I'm afraid you're not choosing the right words here. I see it on a daily basis & let me assure you that the phrase education problems suffered is not incorrect.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 5 September 2012 5:02:52 PM
suseonline,
sorry, typo. Correction, should be correct not incorrect. :-)
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 5 September 2012 6:50:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy