The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine - where to from here? > Comments

Palestine - where to from here? : Comments

By David Singer, published 30/8/2012

While the Israeli Foreign Minister's letter to the EU is not official, they cannot ignore it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
In just a few weeks, the 17th of September to be exact it will be the 64th anniversary of the death of a humanitarian and very brave man. He was involved in the rescuing of over 30,000 concentration camp inmates before the end of the war including 450 Danish Jews from the Theresienstadt concentration camp.

This man should be honoured by inclusion in the list of “Righteous among the Nations”, those who “people risked their lives or their liberty and position to help Jews during the Holocaust”. The list is compiled the Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Authority in Jerusalem, but to date this gentleman has not been included.

Why not? Because he was assassinated by the Jewish terrorist group under the orders of a future Prime Minister of Israel, Yitzhak Shamir.

Their reason? “because he disturbed our national ambitions”.

That man's name was Folke Bernadotte.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folke_Bernadotte

What is the 'national ambition' Mr Singer and the Israeli government holds for Israel? It is of course that they take the lot and ghettoize where necessary.

What will they do to achieve it? The equivalent of poking a sub machine gun through a car window and slaughtering one of the Righteous.

This article is just another case of smoke and mirrors from Mr Singer.

Just go down any street in Australia and ask the question; 'Even given that international law and the United Nations deem the Israeli occupation of the West Bank illegal they continue to demolish Palestinian homes and set up their illegal settlements on Palestinian territory. Do you think it is unreasonable for the Palestinians to ask that the stealing of their land and demolitions of their homes be halted before negotiations proceed with Israel toward a lasting settlement?'

9 out of 10 fair minded Australians would answer 'Of course!'.

Cont...
Posted by csteele, Thursday, 30 August 2012 1:38:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont...

Some times things are eminently simple. There is only one reasonable and just 'concession/gesture' required here, that the Israeli's cease this illegal activity.

So I agree in part with Mr Singer that “the European Union should spell out what it considers needs to be further done by Israel to get the parties around the negotiating table” i.e. stop demolishing Palestinian villages and stop building illegal settlements on Palestinian land. As to “whether Israel’s refusal to do so would result in Israel being isolated from total or partial diplomatic and financial support from the European Union until Israel meets the European Union’s requirements” the answer again is 'Of course!'.

It is easy to recognise the current Israeli government is not looking for peace nor a settlement. It will prevaricate as much as possible to achieve its goals. Disturbing Israel's 'national ambitions' will take courage and commitment and will unfortunately cost the lives of more good people.

We can only hope that one day Israelis will demand from their government that a different path be taken. Perhaps a signal that this has happened will be the well overdue inclusion of Folke Bernadoote on the list of the “Righteous among the Nations”.

Dear Prompete,

The more I read and learn of this issue the less measured I find myself, further I'm afraid the fraught relationship between Mr Singer and myself has entrenched the 'ad-hominum'. Sorry to disappoint.
Posted by csteele, Thursday, 30 August 2012 1:40:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In calling for the removal of Mahmoud Abbas, Avigdor Lieberman is at odds with his Prime Minister and Cabinet. In addition, if the PA held elections today there could be only two outcomes: either the relection of Abbas, or his replacement by a more radical Hamas candidate. What would that prove?

See my recent blog towardsabetterday.blogspot.com.au (A very foolish man)
Posted by Graham Cooke, Thursday, 30 August 2012 4:28:44 PM
"The PA has refused to resume direct negotiations until Israel agrees to impose a construction freeze in the West Bank for the duration of such resumed negotiations - which Israel refuses to do".

Well David I think this just about settles all the rest of the argument that you put forward.

Israel and the Jewish people are no doubt sick to death of the terror that they feel, the continued anguish and anxiety that may result from some unknown missile attack from the Palestinians still willing to retain some strength to resolve their grievances with Israel.

I feel sorry for these ordinary Jewish people, I do not, for one minute feel sorry for the zealous Zionistic sociopathic supporters of a 'Greater Israel' from suffering these supposed injustices.

As the old adage goes, you reap what you sew; in this case it is deserved, in buckets.

Like South Africa in the 1980's Israel has become a pox on the good will and friendship that is pushed by so many 'progressive nations' Israel needs to take a long hard look at its political, social and economic ambitions. Energy and water are going to become two of the main drivers of hatred and fear in the very near future, religious zealotry and an insane mantra of 'return' runs counter to any chance of finding a bi-lateral solution to current problems in the region.

Your complete failure to acknowledge this and your unilateral view of history will become the pillar of Israel's downfall. Most US citizens have had enough and are sick of financially supporting a blatant apartheid system.

Never mind the EU, it’s in it terminal decline and you need to learn to acknowledge basic human decency, a rational sense of what is deemed right from wrong and give those less fortunate from you to climb some ladder to respectability.

Your continued biased view of Israel and its automatic right to statehood is mired between religion and a sense of political and social justice. Please get a grip on reality.
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Thursday, 30 August 2012 10:51:36 PM
Geoff of Perth:

Yet again you recite the tired old claim of Apartheid, so often repeated by the extreme left, evidently without really understanding what the term means. Could you give us some examples of this Apartheid system in Israel? It should be interesting to see what you come up with.

As for Israel’s refusal to impose a construction freeze in the West Bank, one must remember that Israel did freeze settlement construction for a period of 10 months during 2009/10. It did nothing to stop the rockets raining down from Gaza into southern Israel, nor did it help to encourage the Palestinian authority to resume negotiations (other than at the 11th hour when they demanded the freeze to continue indefinitely).

While I am not a great supporter of Israeli construction in the West Bank, I can certainly understand why they are reluctant to repeat this gesture again.
Posted by Avw, Friday, 31 August 2012 12:01:45 AM
Let's look at a few simple facts:
1. Muslims have hated Jews for 1400 years. Take a look at the Quran and hadith if you have doubts.
2. Mohammad massacred hundreds of Jewish prisoners, men and boys, using trickery and lies.
3. At the time of his death, Mohammad ordered the expulsion of both Jews and Christians from Arabia.
4. Muslims take no responsibility for their actions. In Islam, morality is about what others do. For Muslims, "belief" is all that counts (and a few silly rituals).
5. At times, yes, Muslims did treat minorities and jews better than Christians did, but still J+C were 2nd class citizens. If you want the truth about this, read the Rambam.
6. Read the travels and both Karl Marx and Mark Twain if you want to know about jews in pre-mandate Holy Land.
6. Today, everywhere they dominate, Muslims persecute and oppress others. Muslims have expelled more Jews from Islamic countries after 1947 than Palestinians were expelled by the establishment of Israel.
7. Just this year the Palestinians have attacked Israel with hundreds of rockets. Their charter denies the right of Israel to exist. If they could, certain people would kill every jew - men women and children - in Israel. Now that is hate.
8. Most of the evil done to the Palestinians is caused by their neighbors (also Muslims, as in 1947-48), by their corrupt leaders, by Islamic leaders that use this situation for political gain (and distraction), and by their religion.

Conclusion: the jews are doing what they can in an impossible situation. There can be no peace until Muslims have a change of heart. Won't happen. So it is hopeless. Negotiations are a waste of time because neither side is sincere. There can be no peace because Muslims don't want it. Quran 9:111
Posted by kactuz, Friday, 31 August 2012 9:50:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy