The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What is the 'Road to Recovery'? > Comments

What is the 'Road to Recovery'? : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 23/8/2012

The global economy continues to be fragile despite massive government intervention in the form of stimulus, bailouts and increased banking regulation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Michael, I'm not in the habit of calling people liars, but what you have said in your last paragraph is an untruth, and it is hard to believe that it is not a deliberate untruth, which would make it a lie.

There were no "lies" in Malcolm King's article. You objected to his reporting that Sandra Kanck had supported a "one child policy" for Australia, and that he had accidentally made her president of the wrong body. You further suggested that this was defamatory.

In fact there are any number of media reports which verify that Ms Kanck indeed said what Malcolm attributes to her as this Google search will verify https://www.google.com.au/search?q=sandra+kanck+one+child. This comment was not a lie, and therefore not defamatory.

Attributing someone's presidency to the wrong organisation is not defamatory either, generally speaking.

Your complaint appeared to me to be an attempt to shut Malcolm down, not a genuine complaint about something that really was a falsehood.

I'm always interested in challenging my beliefs, but I don't have the time to go and read every book or link you throw at me, particularly when you care so little for them you can't condense their argument yourself. Other people cope with the word limit, so I can't see why you can't. If you need more words, then write an article.
Posted by GrahamY, Saturday, 25 August 2012 5:49:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GrahamY, noting your above comments, I agree that is often difficult to read everything that someone puts up as a link. The 350 word limit is almost ridiculous given the importance of this on-line forum.

However, If you have twenty minutes to spare I would really appreciate if you could read the PDF that I posted today, it clearly spells our what Michael in Adelaide is talking about.

EROEI is the key, you can have all the gas and the other myriad of new "Energy Solutions" you like, oil however is the game-breaker and whether or not you believe in 'Peak Oil" or not, the geological limits support the real facts.

Energy is now in a spiral of limited return, capital, under our current fractional reserve banking system is beyond help, stimulate all you like, drill all you like, austerity is the new norm.

I really think rational people should take off the rose-coloured glasses and assess the facts as they are, we are in a 'lot of trouble' energy wise, not if's not but's just reality.

My 2c worth

Cheers

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 25 August 2012 6:56:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham, do you seriously want us to believe that Malcolm King who was apparently, "director of the RMIT writing programs. He was also a senior media adviser for the ALP and Democrats" did not know what he was doing when falsely describing Kanck as president of the "Sustainable People Lobby" rather than "Sustainable Population Australia"? I see that the text of King's article has now been changed to remove some (not all) of the "untruths". For the record, here is my comment from that article and I continue to stand by it,

"Wow - this article started with lies and then it was all downhill from there. There is no such thing as the "Sustainable People Lobby". Sandra Kanck is the president of Sustainable Population Australia that has patrons Bob Carr, Paul Collins, Mary White, Ian Lowe and Tim Flannery.

"Malcolm says that "SPGN wants to stop all immigration". This is a lie. SPGN wants to reduce NET immigration to zero. Since about 85,000 people emigrate from Australia each year this allows for the same number to immigrate in Australia.

"Malcolm tries to pretend that Europe's population growth rate is somehow representative of Australia when, at 1.6-2%, ours is more similar to many developing world nations. SPGN has no influence over Europe, Africa or other nations - it is an Australian political party.

"Malcolm is a Labor Party media advisor and the Labor Party is seriously concerned about SPGN's activities in South Australia. South Australia recently changed it political party registration laws to make it very difficult for new parties to register or for parties without a parliamentary representative to remain registered.

"It is disappointing that OLO allows unsupported lies to be published when the slightest bit of fact-checking would reveal them. This should be an embarrassment for OLO and is definitely one of their lower moments."

Sorry - no more articles for OLO - I want the things I write to be taken more seriously than that.
Posted by michael_in_adelaide, Saturday, 25 August 2012 10:38:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Michael you are right about "Money as Debt" and the financial system that enslaves us but energy is not a problem.The real environmental issues are being ignored.CO2 is not a problem.Toxic materials and "hot particles" such as Caesium and Iodine are the real threats to our environment.

Overpopulation will be the least of our worries if Fukushima continues to spew out radiation.Male sperm counts continue to fall world wide.Israel has had a 40% reduction in the last 10yrs which they believe is due to the Gulf Wars.The USA is seriously considering in using strategic nuke weapons.There is evidence in Iraq that they have already done so.

Having a good souce of human genetic material amy well be our biggest problem in the coming decades.

Get a wider view of what's happenning here; http://www.globalresearch.ca/
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 26 August 2012 7:38:31 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Michael, if you think the things Malcolm wrote are lies then you are unsuited to being involved in public debate. No problem if you don't want to send me any more articles. That is your problem as you appear to believe that OLO should only publish material that you agree with.

We are a public forum. We don't publish articles as a statement of our position. We don't guarantee that everything in the articles we publish is correct. If we did, and if newspapers and other media did the same with op-eds, precious few would get published here, or anywhere else, including the stuff you send in.

They are called op-eds because that is precisely what they are "opinion editorials".
Posted by GrahamY, Sunday, 26 August 2012 8:03:57 AM
Graham - I have been such a fool! I actually thought that worthwhile and educational agument was based on facts which is why I like to support my arguments with citations (and I challenge you to find a lie in anything I have written). But it seems you (and so OLO) do not care about verifiable lies which would make the quality of argument here on OLO nothing but meaningless jabber. So what purpose does OLO serve actually? Does it simply exist to provide you with an income and some degree of social prestige?

What worth is an opinion if not supported by facts? What worth is an argument if it does not help us find a clearer understanding of reality? Why would anyone interested in enlightenment waste their time reading here?

I feel sorry for you Graham - what you are involved in obviously has no meaning and cannot make a net contribution to society.
Posted by michael_in_adelaide, Monday, 27 August 2012 10:06:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy