The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why has so much contemporary art become so boring? > Comments

Why has so much contemporary art become so boring? : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 20/8/2012

If a work of art cannot speak for itself then it is a failure. Great works of art have always conveyed meaning.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
Poirot,

Thank you for those links ... Quite apart from damaging a valuable artwork,I think it is absolutely hilarious.

Even more so. Undoubtedly the woman who did this was extremely devout and believed she was carrying out some divine mission, and this is how she saw 'him'.

Well ... art is subjective isn't it?
Posted by Danielle, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 9:05:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Danielle,

I don't necessarily think it's how she saw him. I think she had a picture in her mind of what she wished to achieve, but unfortunately her skill level wasn't up to the task.

I draw a bit myself, and I'm a stickler for getting things "right" when drawing portraits. However, accurately rendering a face is quite painstaking and takes all my skill. But I love drawing historic architecture as well, which for me isn't quite such a meticulous task. I can just imagine how she must have felt when it first began to dawn on her that it was a total botch.

I agree, though, there's something hilarious - and tragic - about the whole episode.

: )
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 9:57:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot,

You sound like a perfectionist and I am sure you are very,very good.

I do life-drawing. My skills are such that I could competently outline dead bodies at murder scenes. :-}
Posted by Danielle, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 11:42:12 PM
Danielle,

Actually I'm a bit of a lazy artist....more of a good draughtswoman than anything. I'm not so good on composition or even colour. I'm reasonably good at copying things, and when it comes to portraits,in my experience, a lot comes down to capturing the eyes and, surprisingly, the mouth. I've had quite a few experiences where I've been unable to capture these features accurately - and the more I tried the lousier became the portrait. On one occasion, I was attempting to draw a picture of my mother for her eightieth birthday from a not very clear photograph (it was to be a surprise), and whatever I did, I couldn't get her laughing eyes....although I did manage to jag it in the end - don't know how.

The upshot being that if I hadn't have captured her eyes, the picture would not have seen the light of day.

Buildings are much easier.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 30 August 2012 12:17:54 AM
Poirot,

What a lovely, lovely gift for your mother ... and on many levels. Your descendants will see her as she was, and importantly also, the relationship you had to each other.

I concur with your comments about eyes and mouth being the keys to a good portrait. We are all know how essential it is to capture the inner essence of a person; the mouth is also an expression of the life lived.

I envy your drawing abilities. I was quite good at school, however, didn't pick up a pencil again for many years. I do life drawing in charcoal when groups are available, but am currently engaged with negative space as recommended by Betty Edwards.
Posted by Danielle, Thursday, 30 August 2012 6:51:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy