The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Suspect state: the right to silence > Comments

Suspect state: the right to silence : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 17/8/2012

What is the O'Farrell government's justification for changing the right to silence?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Coming to a your state - A Police State.
Posted by Philip S, Saturday, 18 August 2012 12:52:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DIVER DAN...

I always read most of what you write apropos the justice system so that I might further acquaint myself with prevailing police practice, and procedure.

It would seem inter alia that you have an immense font of knowledge when you so clearly articulate for us all, the internal stratagems that investigative police may employ in order to discover the author of a crime.

Therefore a question if I may, in your unselfish endeavour to further enlighten another contributor herein, you mentioned the word 'verbal', and later in your thread, 'verballing'. A process I gather that is apparently practised by authorities to guide a suspect through a particularly onerous Q & A's session ?

If in this instance I'm on the wrong track DIVER DAN, I'd appreciate the benefit of your wise counsel, by providing me with an explanation as to what exactly is meant by the term 'verbal or 'verballing'? So, in future I might not appear quite so unscholarly, should this fascinating subject, is ever again raised.

Thank you.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 18 August 2012 2:10:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu:

FYI: Verballing:

English. [edit] Noun. verballing (uncountable). The putting of damaging remarks into the mouths of suspects during police interrogation.

Cheers...
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 19 August 2012 10:59:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And a very good afternoon to you there, DIVER DAN...

I too have access to a copy of the OED, nonetheless I do thank you for giving me that exemplary definition in any event.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure I follow your connection to this , how exactly do the authorities or police achieve such a process, when a 'Record of Interview' is both recorded and video taped, contemporaneously with the interview ?

I understand there was (once) a curious practice concerning the word 'verbal', and by extension, 'verballing', apparently where a statement containing a damaging admission alleged to have been made to police, is offered up as evidence by the crown...I believe it goes ?

Again, I'm sure that archaic and outmoded activity could never be accomplished, given the careful CCTV and sound monitering that occurs during a Record of Interview that is taken in these times.

Or is it DIVER DAN that you might be persuaded otherwise ?

Any particulars that you may have in your possession, in relation to any compelling evidence of official police corruption, should in the first instance, be reported to police.
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 19 August 2012 5:04:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu:

...Your feigning ignorance of Police corruption in your post is totally unconvincing. I refer you to the “Wood royal commission” as one of a string of examples which deflate the myth of Police integrity; officially exposing police corruption in their use of "framing" methods, supported by "verballing" tactics, which elicited false confessions from the accused:

...I am an avid supporter of the right of the accused to silence, with good sound (observational) reason for the imperative it is, in protecting the rights of the accused before trial.

...As the author “correctly” points out in her article, there is no legitimate reason to remove (or dilute) this basic (human) right of protection for the accused, under any current circumstances in NSW. Put simply, Police cannot be trusted with the truth on all occasions!
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 19 August 2012 10:04:39 PM
Good evening (again) DIVER DAN...

"...Put simply police cannot be trusted with the truth on all occasions..." !

Then, what specifically, are those occasions, where the police aren't to be trusted with the truth ?

Has there been corruption within the policing industry, yes of course.

Corruption exist everywhere, to a greater or lesser degree. NO institution anywhere, is immune from it.

Where a 'power' is conferred and imposed upon any individual, there is always a chance, the ugly spectre of corruption may at some time, emerge.

The police are all we have between us and anarchy and absolute chaos. Yet you, and some others in this place, take every opportunity to lambast, criticize and harangue 'em, sometimes with baseless allegations of wrongdoing.

When we're in bad trouble, the first person we want to see is a copper. Yet often, he's the last person you'd wish to have a drink with.

I would respectfully suggest, those of you who gleefully enjoy pillorying police and putting the boot in. Perhaps you should first, 'bung' on a blue uniform and do a shift or two at Darlinghurst, or the Cross, or any other simmering pool of humanity, you care to name.

And whilst doing your shift, some unjustified accusation(s) of you engaging in some petty corrupt behaviour are levelled at you. I'd suggest those accusations are the least of your worries. All you want to do is get home in one piece to you wife and kids at the end of your shift.

Thank you once more DIVER DAN, for the opportunity of giving me a brief glimpse into your vast reservoir of knowledge, and into the impenetrable mechanisms of police probity, rectitude and morality. I'm sure all those concerned will be ever in your debt.

Good night my friend.
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 19 August 2012 11:48:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy