The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tying the knot: quest for same-sex marriage in Australia > Comments

Tying the knot: quest for same-sex marriage in Australia : Comments

By Clarrie Burke, published 14/8/2012

The definition of marriage has never stood still - why should it now?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
@rational-debate...

> "An analogy is not name calling but anyway..."

haha, if saying marriage-equality advocates are like petulant children isn't "name-calling", then saying those who oppose equality are childish can hardly be name-calling either, now can it?

But anyway...

> "How about you start with the above? Why is what is on offer not enough? Why does it have to be marriage?"

You wrote earlier, "I have raised my other points before (re equality and point proving) and no one has yet denied them. Might just be a good reason for that..."

I assumed you meant you have raised points purportedly demonstrating why the Federal Government of Australia should exclude same-sex couples from its definition of "marriage".

Instead, the "point" you seem to have raised to start with just now is that even though you don't understand why or how marriage would benefit anyone or what problems it may ameliorate, you're against it anyway.

Since I'm short on time and you're manifestly short on empathy, the simplest answer to your question "why does it have to be marriage?" is this: Why does anyone want to get married?

When you've had a think about all the reasons people get married, then you will have your answer.

Now a question for you...

Why is it so important to you that I remain forbidden to marry my guy?

( C'mon now... the real reason it's oh-so important to YOU? And I can spot an excuse constructed after the fact a mile away, so be honest now! )

:-)
Posted by Jimmy Jones, Thursday, 16 August 2012 1:17:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony L,the definition of marriage is a union between a man and woman, get over it and move on.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 17 August 2012 7:19:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
At the moment: my point was that you can't automatically assume it will always have that meaning.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/05/31/735843/-The-Mad-Logophile-Words-That-Have-Changed-Their-Meaning-Part-1

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Friday, 17 August 2012 8:08:44 AM
It will in my world!
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 17 August 2012 12:15:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy