The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sexism in Olympic sport > Comments

Sexism in Olympic sport : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 8/8/2012

Rights, respect and what it takes to be a 'good sport'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
grab the tissues as woman for having to travel economomy class while women are beaten in communtities. Maybe they should have to compete at the same level if they want the same treatment as men. That would be equality.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 8 August 2012 3:35:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jessica Fox finished second in the women’s K1 canoe slalom final. Fox, 18, is the current world junior champion and under-23 world champion, and just lost to Frenchwoman Emilie Fer.

Fox said her silver medal was the “most beautiful thing I’ve even seen,” and added: “I’m only 18 and I’ve had such a great season so far and to cap it off with a silver medal at the Olympics is just a dream come true. “No matter what the result to perform like that at an Olympic final is something I was proud of.”

----

Acting Basketball Australia chief executive Scott Derwin said the policy surrounding budgets for each national team gave those teams discretion over how funds were spent, including travel arrangements.

"We should bear in mind that in fact, historically, more funding has been directed towards the Opals," Derwin said.

----

Nobody checks facts these days.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 8 August 2012 3:35:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I believe Belize has a women's canoeing team.

Being a tad short of the necessaries to spend on transporting athletes, they're presently paddling to the Olympics - and I believe they've been spotted nearing the cliffs of Dover...should be along any minute.

What a load of hooey..."equality"...when the richest countries are guaranteed the lion's share of the glory because they have the means to spend on the marketable 'product'.

Btw - volleyball costume reflects beach costume. Women get around in next to nothing and men wear baggy boardies.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 8 August 2012 4:00:53 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/london-games/opals-opted-to-fly-economy-says-basketball-australia-head-scott-derwin/story-fne3ajoz-1226430434169

Clever girls! More booze money for the celebrations!

What's with idea that calling them 'girls' is somehow patronising or derogatory. Man if I had a dollar for every post match rugby league interview that started with 'The Boys really dug in...'

How good would men vs women boxing be! Every male victor would be scorned by the feminists as somehow enjoying his win a little too much, and if a woman ever won the attitude would be 'You go girl'! Maybe a handicap event where the woman is allowed a frying pan and a roller pin, and the man is not allowed to disarm her of them. In the shooting men would be the targets.

I think if we cant have an Olympics with no gendered events, they should instead have separate Women's and a Men's Games, held at different times, their 4 year cycles offset by 2 years. I wonder what the funding and audience would look like for the women's Olympics if they couldn't ride on the coat tails of the men.

Same with other sports. How many people would turn up to the Women's Australian Open Tennis compared to the Men's.

Face it, women don't support sport. Men are the ones paying to watch, and that's where the advertising money comes from. If women supported women's sport there would be more money for women. But they support fashion which is why the women's Tennis stars are all about modelling and fashion.

At what point do women start to take responsibility. Men don't buy clothes or support the Fashion Industry so we only get 1/3 of the choice of shops in shopping malls as women
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 8 August 2012 4:04:24 PM
Houellebecq, that's just bullying behaviour. Lot's of posters would comment in support of the article if it wasn't for bullies like you who don't know your place and might contradict them. This article has 2 likes so there!!

You should not be focussed on masculine quantitative values (if the women's team gets more funding than the men's team that's not relevant) but rather on the qualitative values that after other choices were made there was one choice where the women faired worse than the men.

Likewise when men are called boy's that's clearly not meant to be demeaning, it's obvious though that when women are called girls it's a put down.

Also that dreadful idea that men can somehow be excused for their sexist preference for watching sports they enjoy played by the strongest rather than enjoying non-masculine sports demonstrates yet again that you just don't get it.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 8 August 2012 5:54:13 PM
Something like 145 of the 170 members and honorary members of the IOC are men. The Olympics is dripping with sexism soon to be prohibited from doing business in Australia.
Posted by whistler, Thursday, 9 August 2012 9:12:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy