The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > IR reform - spin can't hide attack on families > Comments

IR reform - spin can't hide attack on families : Comments

By Bill Shorten, published 14/10/2005

Bill Shorten argues the new IR reforms are unfair and designed to cut wages in favour of profits.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All
I agree Mr Man, I too see for the first time in the history of this country people immigrating from Australia. I don’t like the direction this country is heading and I will be seeking in the future overseas employment with a view of moving my family from Australia. This may seem radical but people have been doing it for centuries to seek a better way of life. A major result of these proposed IR policies is that we are going to see an increase in crime, decrease in public services and a stuff you attitude from fellow employees. Look at the state of our public hospitals, imagine what they are going to be like when there is a down turn in the economy and unemployment is high. I will consider taking my skill overseas and let this country go down the sh*tter.
Posted by MechEngineer, Thursday, 3 November 2005 10:27:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Come please, what can Bill do about it? well the best thing is get into the house and seak a leading role now.
We like our grand fathers can do a great deal, stay in our unions get active in letters to those who impose this crime on us and vote only Labor.
To manufacture a poorer working class is the aim of this dreadfull bill and that alone.
As a unionist prison awaits me that holds no fears are you ready to defend your rights?
Posted by Belly, Monday, 7 November 2005 8:13:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Up the thread it is said the AWU fails to look after its members, nearly 40 years as a unionist I know that to be a lie more militant unions use.
Its those radical unions that made victims of all Australian workers and focused Howards so called reform on us all.
The AWU has produced a lifetime of sevice to middle Australia ,and one day in Bill Shorten will again give great leadership to the country.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 7 November 2005 3:47:06 PM
People usually assume unions exist to advance the working conditions of their employees, and some posters object to unions expressing opinions on social justice / political issues.

How many old buildings would Sydney have if the BLF hadn't banned some sites?

I just remembered when unions have really been most helpful to me. There was a building site behind my house actually a 8 metre deep hole, 3 metres from my bed.
As is usual on inner city building sites work started at 5am. The building code says work can't start until 7am but the police said it was a council problem and the local council opened its office at 8:30 am and had the attitude if we were rich enough to live here then we could suffer for once.

Some one told me to try the union. I rang the union and they acted immediately, no more 7am starts and a minimum of 2 people on site at all times.

So don't forget to tell John Howard on Tuesday November 15th that you disagree with his "Kill the unions bill" also known as "IR reforms" and how can 1300 pages of legislation and a seperate AWA for each worker at each place of work [probably 14,000,000 AWAs] be more efficient that 4000 awards?

see for http://www.rightsatwork.com.au/ for details.

How did I get the figure of 14,000,000 AWAs.
Assume 6,000,000 workers.
Assume 2,000,000 in full time work with one job.
Assume other 4,000,000 are part time.
Assume part timers have 3 jobs per year. My nieces will have 2 employers, I have 6 employers
Posted by sand between my toes, Friday, 11 November 2005 6:17:02 AM
It just has to be the differences in our lifetime experences that gives us such different views.
Yes I am a Labor activist, and after a lifetime unionist a union official.
My only intent as a unionist is to represent my members, no standover tactics no threats, just do my best to help while not distroying needed relation ships with most bosses.
Yes Howard is concerned only with distroying wage suport for workers and unions, but some do not see it?
Last week 8 low paid workers voted by request on a EBA put to them by the boss, he had told them to vote for it or be reduced to award payments [about $14 an hour not the few dollars more they get].
And demanded a secrete ballot! his workers backed that ballot 4 votes to take agreement 2 not to 2 absent from work.
They voted the next day and a hung ballot was the result 4 for 4 against.
1 hour into our re hashing this EBA union got 3 issues improved 2 hour minimum for call back to work raised to 4.
3% more pay raise than offer.
And lunch [usualy provided and required under existing EBA [miles away from shops] if unplaned overtime is worked, now a fee is to be paid if meal can not be sorced.
The doctors certificate for each sick day[ average per employee is 2.3 per year has been with drawn new EBA to be signed very soon.
So union won why? this national firms HQ had no part to play in the EBA draft and did not share managers views .
In what way did union not act with honour? these folk earn $32.000 a year hardly in need of a wage cut.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 12 November 2005 7:08:10 AM
Will it pass the senate? Barnaby has the answer we must wait
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 19 November 2005 6:22:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy