The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The place of human rights in The Future We Want > Comments

The place of human rights in The Future We Want : Comments

By Bridget Lewis, published 29/6/2012

Why should human rights be included in a declaration on the future of sustainable development?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Here's a translation: "We were caught lying about climate change, so to avoid embarrassment we will pretend that we're not abandoning the cause because it's demonstrably nonsense, but rather because of our deep abiding concern for human rights. Which we care deeply and passionately about, for just as long as anyone is prepared to sponsor us to do so."
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 29 June 2012 7:23:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cheer up folks!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-29/un-declares-world-happiness-day/4099498
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 29 June 2012 8:24:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of course a bill of human rights is a great idea, and we should have one, if only to led by example.
Which ultimately will be the only way we will get others to follow.
Be it on climate change or how we finally and fairly, bridge the so-called divide between the have and have nots, or the much lower life expectancy of our indigenous populations.
Is climate change caused by human activity?
I certainly hope so; given, that means we humans can actually do something about it.
Those things that might work to ameliorate against carbon emission, will be those that walk out the door, and or, be cheap enough for the third or developing world to embrace them.
Which might include turning waste into power at one third of the cost of coal fired power; and or very low water use algae farming; or, utilising cow dung, clay and used coffee grinds, to make rudimentary water filters, that exclude everything above 5 microns.
i.e., most bacteria including dysentery creating, e coli.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Sunday, 1 July 2012 11:50:59 AM
Oh come on love, we all know the whole Rio thing was just the usual tax payer funded annual pissup, for the same bunch of 55,000 bludgers who prattle on about these things every year.

Like harm minimisation in the drug fraternity, the thing is designed to be self perpetuating. Any real success, even in such ridiculous causes, could endanger next years holiday, so that can't be allowed to happen.

Are you trying to fool the readers, or are you trying to fool yourself? I do hope for your sake, you don't actually believe any of this stuff.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 1 July 2012 12:42:10 PM
Oh come on Hassa, we all know that the Rio thing was a genuine attempt to address enormous and ominous issues.

No it probably didn’t achieve a brass razoo. But it has got to be a whole better than doing nothing.

You might have had a legitimate criticism if you’d suggested an alternative method of attempting to address these issues, but you denounce every effort and denounce half the issues as well: AGW, peak oil, etc.

I think you believe that we should be striving for a sustainable society. Well, you concur with me that we need to stop population growth, at least.

So don’t you think my point is valid (see my first post): that the best way of dealing with human right is to work directly towards developing sustainable societies rather than striving to improve human rights within ongoing poverty-stricken resource-stressed high unsustainable societies?
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 1 July 2012 1:49:57 PM
Luddy old mate, if we want to overcome the problems of the world, first we have to shut down the UN, & all its offshoots. That must include black banning any who has ever worked for, or with the UN from ever holding any sort of public funded appointment.

Then we have to close all these make believe departments in every university in every country, with a similar ban on public employment of those who have been employed in any of them.

Then a Cando Campbell Newman like reduction in public paid pen pushers, [do you like that one?], & we have probably done enough to save the planet right there. But to make sure, a ban on all travel to conferences anywhere by publicly funded people. After all we have telly conferencing don't we?

Now all we have to do is down size all government, & get it the hell out of peoples business, & so many problems, perpetuated by these Di#k Hea*s will just disappear.

Mate I do find it hard to understand your belief in this AGW/peak oil stuff, you seem too smart to fall for it. All this con has done is enable the transfer of billions of public funds into shonky hands. Just look at how many Obama donors have received huge grants or loan assurances. Look at who's making money from useless windmills. If they can just get him out of the way so they can get at it, they have found oil for a couple of hundred years, & gas for twice that long. Add Brazil to that, & our gas, & we're swimming in energy.

Then take a look at who is dropping the facade, & getting out of subsidies. Europe, apart from the stupid poms have woken up, & it is about time we did too.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 1 July 2012 3:33:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy