The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The slippery slope to homophobia > Comments

The slippery slope to homophobia : Comments

By Rodney Croome, published 7/6/2012

Blaming gays for some hypothetical slippery slope to multiple-partner marriages is misleading.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
runner,

These lions of early industrial industry in Britain weren't some itinerant bunch of faux worshipers. They were the middle-class epitome of moral turpitude. Their behaviour represented a standard to be imitated by the lower orders. They considered themselves and their example as a benchmark for morality in an industrially advancing society. Their piety was unquestioned.
That they were almost demonically hypocritical in the their conduct concerning their workforce is instructive of the cant that ensues when self interest and self-righteous affectation are frosted in piety and divine consent.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 7 June 2012 11:28:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Obviously "moral turpitude" should read "moral rectitude"

Grrrrr.....
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 7 June 2012 11:34:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The standards for judging morality are indeed in need to be considered carefully. Unfortunately, there are a high number of people who do take these standards for granted, and that's what makes the people who create them so powerful. Criticism can make progress in that respect and should be exercised more strongly.
Posted by josephine, Friday, 8 June 2012 1:48:08 AM
Hopefully the author does not represent the majority of same sex orientated people on this. In my view he sets their cause back with this article.

I'm supportive of a broadening of marriage but not on the terms the author proposes. Sorry but same sex marriage is not going to be part of marriage as it now is which seems to be what you are wanting. Right now it is a heterosexual pair bonding thing, I don't happen to believe that it should stay that way but saying you want to be part of it as it is does not work.

My support for same sex "marriage" is on the basis that the government should get out of the business, that consenting adult humans should be able to make their own choices and be afforded similar legal protections, responsibilities within those choices.

The authors approach attacks most of my resasons for supporting same sex marriage while failing to provide any new ones.

As I've pointed out earlier I'd rather see the government right out of the business of registering relationships but I can't see that happening anytime soon. In the meantime there should be no mandated discrimination.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 8 June 2012 6:49:14 AM
I'm surprised that conservatives haven't brought
up the subject of the "carbon Tax," regarding this
issue. They usually blame the carbon tax for everything.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 10 June 2012 4:42:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy