The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is Labor the least worst? > Comments

Is Labor the least worst? : Comments

By Max Atkinson, published 6/6/2012

The Liberal Party has no commitment to fairness or equality.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Banjo,

I read your list.

Essentially a list of media beat-ups.

I could come up with a similar list on Howard/Costello. But I really only have to mention the woeful WorkChoices policy and the deaths of thousands of innocents in Iraq. If there ever was a bad policy choice, invading a country against the will of the UN, killing thousands of its citizens and then finding you really had no justifiable reason to do it was it. Makes your "PINK BATTS PINK BATTS" screechings seem a trifle petty.

LIES about AWB, lies about children overboard. Failure on the manufacturing industry. Middle class welfare. Failure on infrastructure. Failure on health and education. Housing unaffordability etc etc etc.

But these are all such petty things. Not every well-meaning policy is going to be successful, and corruption is going to exist in all governments. At the end of the day, how is the country being run overall? Are people getting jobs, are real wages rising, are health and living standards improving, is education improving, are we planning for the future, are we looking after our neighbours etc etc. At the moment all these things are happening.

These are things that actually matter, not who said what when and where. The economy is thriving under this Government. The opposition have shown they are incompetent when it comes to balancing budgets and understanding the economy. Their leader has also shown to be a big time liar, much more than the government. Why anyone would want to change is beyond me.
Posted by David Corbett, Thursday, 7 June 2012 4:52:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David:

"I could come up with a similar list on Howard/Costello." I bet you can't.

Juliar's carbon tax lie was the biggest in last few decades. As for why we should ditch the present government, the litany of corrupt Labor MPs, the vast gap between the espoused labor values and the government's actions, etc. Banjo's list is just the start.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 7 June 2012 6:01:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Twenty three days and the worlds biggest Carbon Tax will be among us.
Banjo's list is in the wild, propped up by the australian news paper.
Channel nine are having trouble bying a story about the life and times of a prostitute.
A gallery of gilahs on the opposition, dribbling tripe.
Armed with Banjo's list, and Costello's informed remarks.
Abbott facing 6-12 in jail.
Who will lead the party.
Turnbull of course.
Excellent economics on the table. Strongest prime minister ever. Best treasurer in the world. Employment strong. Pensioners looked after. Child-care being recreated. Welfare where needed. Australia is very strong, and in no danger of defaulting any time soon. Who would want to change.
Posted by 579, Friday, 8 June 2012 12:42:17 PM
The mindset of those on either side of the 'debate' between uncritical supporters of the Labor on one side and uncritical supporters of the Liberal/National coalition on the other side is that as long as we can find fault with the other side we don't have to concern ourselves with fault on our side.

People who want decent representation from their elected representatives won't get it from either side. They should look for alternatives from people like Mark Aldridge (http://www.markmaldridge.com) as I mentioned earlier.

Saltpetre wrote:

"'Breaking' the maritime unions brought essential and overdue efficiencies to the waterside, ... rant, rant, ..."
The Maritime Workers Union wasn't broken. He failed becasue broader public opinion supports trade unionism.

No doubt Saltpetre considers any environment where work is performed at a civilised pace and workers paid decent rates of pay as 'inefficient'.

I would have though that manual workers were entitled to get something from the technological gains of recent decades.

Evidently, Saltpetre doesn't agree.
Posted by malthusista, Friday, 8 June 2012 5:41:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>..work at a civilised pace<<, malthusista?? - Do you mean the guys playing cards in the tea room during work time? Or the guys on the sly-list taking a work day off and having their mates sign them on and off? Does the FACT that Oz ports were amongst the most in-efficient in the world not tell you something? A fair day's work for a fair day's pay - you've got to be joking - fair suck of the sav!

It sounds as though you despise anyone who has a desk job and never gets 'down and dirty'. Never let working hard at getting a good education stand in the way of your definition of 'work'. Envy is one thing, but outright sabotage is quite another.

And, as for the BLF, try the word 'blackmail', or 'organised criminal activity'.

Facts are always a poor substitute for envy and prejudice, and a selective memory is a handy weapon against ever facing reality and the obvious truth.
Posted by Saltpetre, Saturday, 9 June 2012 12:10:36 PM
Unlike the case with Saltpetre, my world view does not include simplistic schemas in which either an employer can do no wrong or a worker can do no wrong.

If Saltpetre had read my post on the other forum "The Leveson Inquiry: what a lovely game" at http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=13696&page=0#237184 :

"The CIA's meddling in Australia is strikingly similar to its meddling in British Guiana from 1953 until 1964 against the elected governments of Cheddi Jagan (ch 16). There the CIA used its influence in the union movement to foment labour unrest to destabilise Cheddi Jagan. ("Left wing" orthodoxy, BTW, holds such unrest to be the consequence of trade unions always being more revolutionary than 'reformist' governments. It's obvious that in Australia under the Whitlam government they were not.)"

... he would know that my world view does not include the simplistic schema that he has attempted to attribute to me.
Posted by malthusista, Saturday, 9 June 2012 3:58:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy