The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Beware of conservatives > Comments

Beware of conservatives : Comments

By Max Atkinson, published 25/5/2012

As Conservatism is a disposition not an ideology, Conservatives end up standing for nothing predictable.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
runner

I accept your apology and your explanation. Your explanation negated the need for an apology.

I withdraw my accusations regarding your intelligence and judgement. I was simply wrong.

I expect none of us will ever see the author and those who share his opinions be refered to as 'heterophobic' when they argue in favour of single gender parenting... which I think was the purpose of the article.
Posted by imajulianutter, Tuesday, 29 May 2012 6:44:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
david f

your evasion in answering shows the ridiculous position you find yourself in when you claim not to believe in absolutes. Of course it is wrong to steal another man's wife or to lie to a wife or husband. The failure to accept absolutes is an illusion and delusion. You appear to make up your own absolutes as do many others. Chaos is the result of every man doing what is right in his own eyes.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 29 May 2012 11:44:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear runner,

You wrote: "Chaos is the result of every man doing what is right in his own eyes."

Then I guess we have to live in chaos because I sure wouldn't want you to decide what is right for me. I don't feel I can decide what is right for you.

I have read your posts. They are moralistic screeds where you speak of your absolutes. There was a horrible time in the United States from 1919 to 1933 where liquor was prohibited because some religious moralisers manage to get it outlawed. Great crime empires arose. police forces were corrupted. "Thou shalt not drink" was a moral absolute. The US is still suffering from that period.

There are still people around who want to decide how other people should behave. Some of these people revere ignorance. They deny the findings of science when it conflicts with their superstitions.

You believe in a book of myths and, from that book of myths, you want to tell other people how to behave.

Your morality seems concentrated on controlling other people's sexuality. Those are your absolutes as far as I can see. You don't seem to mention any others.

War, the destruction of the planet, ignorance and prejudice all seem to take second place to your concern with someone poking something into someone else's orifice.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 30 May 2012 5:47:46 AM
runner,
that's hilarious, or it would be if it wasn't nauseating.
Maybe imajulianutter was right in the first place--I stand corrected.
According to wiki an "Absolute is the concept of an unconditional reality which transcends limited, conditional, everyday existence. It is sometimes used as an alternate term for "God" or "the Divine"

Can't you see that what you're describing are not "absolutes", they're social/domestic constructs and norms, couched in terms of God's law to lend them efficacy. In absolute terms you have no ownership rights over your wife and she has no obligation, these are merely conventional and subject to contingency within "chaos".
It's your absolutes that are illusions and delusion; they're norms designed to keep the peace but are all too often justly broken.
Your brand of conservatism has to be among the most repellent---not to mention tyrannical when empowered.
Posted by Squeers, Wednesday, 30 May 2012 5:49:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy